Throw It At Els

author's note: happy christmas eve! meringue pie and smiles to everyone that uses their minimal time alive to read my story.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

November 14, 1993

It was a dreary fall morning when Seamus Finnigan slammed a newspaper clipping on the Gryffindor table so hard that Elodie almost choked on her cereal.

The headline: Sirius Black Sighted Near Dufftown, Scotland

This was read aloud by Hermione, causing the entire great hall to fall silent.

"Dufftown's barely two towns over from here." Maura whispered to her. Both girls were extremely sleep deprived from long nights of studying, but Elodie was definitely worse for wear. Since her lessons with her father, she feared sleep. Sleep left your mind unprotected, vulnerable.

Between lack of rest and George ignoring her, Elodie was in the worst mood she had been in in her entire life. She hadn't turned in an essay in weeks, she snapped at the portraits when they tried to speak with her, and worst of all, her hatred of Romilda Vane had increased tenfold.

She kept her resentment in, for Fred's sake, but it made her want to hit something, pretty constantly. Maura was on the verge of shoving a calming draught down her throat.

"You don't think Sirius Black would come here, do you?" Her friend was saying worriedly, snapping Elodie out of a wormhole of thoughts.

"Nah." Fred said confidently from a couple seats down. "Dumbledore's here. He wouldn't risk it."

Not everyone looked so certain. Harry looked like he was going to throw up.

The more Elodie thought about it, the more likely it seemed that Sirius Black would come to Hogwarts. A murderous, raving, lunatic and a castle brimming with magic? And untrained kids were easy enough targets.

Perhaps her father's cynicality was getting to her.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

The rest of the day was just as tense-even teachers were on edge. Mcgonagall reassured them in Transfiguration that Hogwarts was as secure as ever, and there was no way Sirius Black would get in unseen.

This sounded to Elodie like a way of saying he could get in the castle, he would just have to murder all of them to do it.

"If Sirius Black comes here and kills us all, you two are going to be sorry about holding onto this bloody argument." Fred pointed out as they tried to transfigure bluebirds into hairbrushes.

George gave a noncommittal grunt in return, and Elodie looked at the ground.

Fred rolled his eyes. "George, she's sorry. Aren't you, Els?"

Elodie nodded avidly. "I really am, Georgie. And I've tried to tell dad to stop with the mind-reading rubbish, I swear."

George grunted again. Elodie knew that if he didn't want to forgive her, she wouldn't make him. After all, she knew first hand how awful having you're mind read felt. She wasn't keen on becoming best buds with Snape, either.

"This is ridiculous." Fred sighed. He waved his wand, and the bluejay shrunk down to a hairbrush with a final squawk.

Elodie moaned, flopping her head on the desk. "I'm going to fail transfiguration."