Enemies of the Heir, Beware

author's note: nothing to say today, i'm way too exhausted. gratitude and long hugs to anyone who reads my writing!

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

October 4, 1992

Elodie was awoken from her sleep by a sudden, piercing, scream. Still wrapped in Fred's arms, her first thought was (very foolishly) Merlin, this must look bizarre.

Two teenagers sitting under a tree that was supposed to be beating them to death, snuggled in each other's arms at six in the morning. Not to mention the mascara that was most certainly running down her face. And then the scream registered, and she sat upright.

"Fred! Freddie!" She shook her friend awake.

"Mmf... five more minutes, Els." He groaned.

"Fred, someone's screaming."

"I'm sure they just had a really good shag. Go back to sleep." He didn't even open his eyes. Elodie put her fingers on his eyelids and pulled them open.

"Ouch... Could you not?" Fred blinked twice, and shut his eyes again.

"Someone screamed." She stated again, furrowing her brow. "Fine, alright, I'll go check it out by myself." She made to get up, but he pulled her back.

"No... stay...please?" He pouted, still half asleep.

Elodie sat back down. "Wake up."

"I am up."

"Wake up. Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up!" She shook him awake.

"Good Godric, woman, I'm up!" Fred shook his head to the side like a dog and let himself be pulled off the grass. "Did we sleep here?" He stared down at the base of the willow tree.

"Oh... um, yeah, I guess so." Elodie focused on the ground, not wanting to meet his eye. She didn't know what last night was, or what it meant to him, either. Probably nothing.

"Hey."

Elodie flinched a little as his fingers intertwined with hers.

"I'm sorry about your dad."

She looked up to meet his warm brown eyes. He really did look sorry. "It's okay, Freddie. But we should go, I want to see if that person's okay." She tugged at his hand.

"I stand by my shagging theory." He shrugged.

Elodie rolled her eyes. "Just come on."

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

It wasn't hard to identify the source of the scream, as a large crowd was forming at the edge of the first floor girl's lavatory. Written in large red letters on the stone wall,

The Chamber of Secrets has been opened. Enemies of the Heir, beware.

"What's the Chamber of Secrets?" Elodie whispered to Fred. Apparently she wasn't the only one with this question, as students around them were buzzing with queries.

But what was truly horrifying, was what was next to the message.

Ms. Norris, Filch's matted tabby cat, was hanging from her tail on one of the lantern hooks. But she wasn't mewing, or clawing to get down- her yellow eyes were fixed open, her fur glistening in what seemed to be a frozen state.

"Is she- dead?" A second year muttered. Professor Mcgonagall was striding down the hall with Dumbledore, Snape and Filch trailing close behind her. Elodie ducked behind Fred's arm, cursing.