The Quidditch Captain

author's note: hello, angels! sorry for fred's distemper in this chapter, i think you might be able to guess why. sweaters and a love note to anyone who chooses to read my words.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

October 3rd, 1992

The Gryffindor quidditch team flopped down on the changing room benched, sweaty and exhausted. Oliver Wood, their captain, was beaming at the group.

"Excellent practice, everyone. Alicia and Els, good teamwork. George, nice save at the end there. Harry, work on your precision."

"Leave Harry alone, Ollie, he's The Boy Who Lived." Elodie smirked, swatting at Oliver's arm.

"He'll be the boy who didn't live if we lose to Slytherin." The quidditch captain growled. Harry gulped.

"Harry, ignore Oliver, he's just... ambitious." Elodie reasoned, putting her arm around the young Gryffindor.

"Or a prat." Fred suggested under his breath.

"Fred!" Elodie looked at him with surprise.

"Just joking!" He smiled weakly. "Excited for Hogsmeade today, Els?"

"Very. I wish my stupid mum would've just signed the form so I wouldn't have to keep sneaking around, though." She sighed.

"Hey, Elodie, can I talk to you?" Oliver beckoned her from across the room.

"Sure, Ollie. Just a sec." She hurriedly slipped her socks on and pushed her way through the crowded dressing room, expecting to be informed about something she did wrong during practice, or a move he wanted her to perfect. "What's up?"

He nervously scratched the back of his head.

"I was wondering if you'd like to go to Hogsmeade today." He blushed.

"Oh, I'm already going. Would you like to come along with us?" Elodie smiled politely.

"No, I meant- um, just the two of us?" Oliver winced.

"Oh."

"Really, me?" She was kind of taken aback- the only time a boy had ever asked her out was Mike Tucker in second year, and that had been a dare, anyway.

"Yes, you." He laughed. "Why is that so hard to believe?"

"Um, I dunno, I just-"

"It's fine, you done have to come with me."

"No- no! I want to!" She corrected herself much too fast, smiling bashfully.

"Oh, okay good." Oliver grinned. "Three Broomsticks at 2?"

"Sounds good." Usually she avoided the Three Broomsticks, for it was a commonplace for teachers supervising the trips, but she decided to make an exception. Besides, she could use some butterbeer.

"See you there." He placed a kiss on her hand, and walked away.

"ALICIA, I'M GOING TO FAINT." Elodie's eyes were still widened in shock, her cheeks flushed.

"What, what?" Her teammate rushed over to her.

"Oliver just asked me out."

"He did what?" Alicia and Fred said in unison.

"Yeah, we're going to Hogsmeade together." She exhaled.

"But, Els, I thought you were coming with us!" Fred protested.