TWENTY & THREE.

CAMERON OWENS.

I hesitated before knocking on her door, but this couldn't wait

I hesitated before knocking on her door, but this couldn't wait. I raised my knuckle to the door and knocked four times.

I knew she was home because her car was in the driveway. I had to see her, now.

Maliyah opened the door, her hair tied up and in a scarf, wearing a Nike sports bra and the matching tights.

"Were you working out?" I asked.

"No, how can I help you sir?" she replied, cocking her head.

"What's the point of wearing workout gear if you aren-"

"Cameron what do you want?" she cut me off.

In reality, I was stalling. I knew what I want, but I didn't know how to say it.

"I overheard Faevi telling Levi you were leaving, and when I asked about it she said it's not her business to tell, and that I need to hear it from you," I said, looking down.

She just stood there.

I looked up at her, and her facial expression was troubling to read. I couldn't tell if she was aggravated or touched.

She opened the door wider, signaling that I come inside.

Their house was nice. I was greeted immediately by an immense living room with a large leather sectional couch and a massive mounted flat-screen TV on the wall. African vases and decorations were decorated nicely on tables and corners, and there was a mirror reflecting back at me that covered nearly the entire wall.

The floor was a marble beige color, with carpets and placemats in the assorted areas.

"Take your shoes off," she ordered, and I complied, sliding my slides off and placing them at the tile-carpet cut off.

She lead me to the couch, where I sat down. I continued eyeing the place. She went and brought me a bottle of water, then came and sat down next to me.

"Is your Mama an interior designer? Cause this place is ni-"

"Cameron... why are you here?" she asked.

"I told you, Faev-"

"No, don't bring up Faevi or Levi or Eli or anybody. Why are you here?" she repeated.

"I'm taking a risk," I mumbled.

"Say it with your chest, I can't hear you pussy boy," she said

"See! That right there. That's why I'm hesitant to even try with you. Maliyah you play way too much, and I'm not about to let you play me." I blurted.

She raised her eyebrows.

"I-I was joking-" she stammered.

Oh.