6

"Welcome, everyone, to the UA sports festival!" Present Mic's voice rang through the whole arena.

Your class was in the waiting room, some nervous, some excited.

You were sitting next to Mina, slowly tapping your foot. You weren't expecting to actually be nervous, but that morning, when you woke up and already had a knot in your throat, you knew it was inevitable.

"Midoriya, I want to have a talk with you"

You lifted your head up as you heard Todorokis voice. He was approaching your green-haired classmate, an extremely serious look on his face.

"Y-Yeah...?"

"Looking from an objective point of view, I am stronger than you." Midoriya flinched a little and nodded nervously, unable to do anything else. "But All Might has got his eyes on you, doesn't he?"

At this, Midoriyas eyes widened, but he didn't say anything.

"Hey man, why are you picking a fight all of a sudden? We are friends, aren't we?" Kirishima broke the silence, placing a hand on Todorokis shoulder, trying to calm him down.

Your face formed into a confused expression.

Todoroki wasn't picking a fight. Neither of you were at UA to make friends. You were there to become heroes. It was normal for two classmates to feel intimidated by each other, and for a rivalry to be born.

Todoroki saw Midoriya as a rival. And he wanted him to know that; be aware of it.

You didn't say anything though, watching to see how the conversation would unfold.

"We aren't here to make friends, we are here to become heroes. And Im not going to hold back" Todoroki added, pushing Kirishimas hand off his shoulder.

You felt the atmosphere in the room change from a bit anxious, but calm at the same time, to tense, uncomfortable.

It was like everyone suddenly realised what they were there for. Not to have fun at a normal high school sports festival, but to train, fight, get experience.

Todoroki turned his back to Midoriya and walked back to his seat.

What you didn't expect was for the green-haired boy to say something back. "I know that. But I will still do my best. I cant afford to fall behind you or the others" he had a serious expression, and you couldn't help but admire his determination.

Then, Present Mics voice rang through the monitor you had in the waiting room, making all of you divert your gaze on it.

You all stood up and made your way to the arena.

***

Shouto was going to make the best out of this sports festival. He was going to focus only on his career. Not on you, not on other things.

The night before, he thought about many things. About his life, his dreams, his goals.

And once again, he realised his priority -being the number 1 hero.

He didn't have time to think about anything else.

This was what his stupid old man had taught him after all.

How could he have been so naïve, giving himself time to think -and worry- about you? You weren't in his life anymore. You had been in his life only for that short amount of time. You were now just a classmate -an acquaintance.

It doesn't matter that you knew each other before. Present was present, and he had other things to think about. You didn't remember him anyways.

Well, that wasn't certain yet.