A New Queen

Chapter title is pretty straightforward this time.

     Third Person POV:

     It was a sunny day.

     The leaves were full of dew, the air was fresh and clean.

     The atmosphere of the RainWing village, while usually calm, was tense today.

     This was the day the RainWings would either doom themselves to a terrible queen (or maybe eight of them) or be ruled by a three year old dragonet. Absolutely outstanding options here.

     Kinkajou was ready to prove that she could be a good queen. She would admit to no one but herself that she was a bit afraid... she was determinedly keeping her scales yellow, although sometimes it became so neon in was close to lime green.

     Deathbringer was ready to keep a lookout and protect Glory, no matter what.

     Glory was ready to help Kinkajou in any way possible. Even cheating. Although she really didn't want to....

     Jambu was ready to recruit some dragons ASAP to stop the war. He was tired of being a bystander. He had left at dawn towards the Island where Peril was.

     The Dragonets of Destiny were preparing for... well, their destiny.

     The queenly trials were about to begin.

     The challenge was introduced: Kinkajou would have to choose four dragons to compete along side her.

     "I choose... Glory."

     "I choose... Mangrove."

     "I choose... Tamarin."

     "I choose... " Here, Kinkajou hesitated. Jambu was gone, so who should she choose?

     "I choose... Deathbringer."

     The crowd gave shocked murmurs as Deathbringer got up from the stands to join the rest. A NightWing to join the RainWings.

     Magnificent introduced the five challenges: Venom targeting, flower hunt, treetop race, fruit gathering, camouflage contest.

     The team strategized: Kinkajou would do venom targeting, Tamarin would do the flower hunt, Deathbringer would go fruit gathering, Glory would do camouflage, and Mangrove would go tree-gliding.

     Tree gliding was first: Exquisite and Mangrove were up.

     The challenge had officially begun.

     Deathbringer's POV:

     Glory and I were watching our teammate glide through the trees. Though he was older than some, he still surprised the tribe by going pretty fast. Jambu probably would have went faster, but Mangrove was speedy enough.

     I knew we were about to win this challenge... but then I saw a little spot of silver. A sloth.

     I knew sloths were pets to RainWings and spotted Exquisite looking gleefully at the creature. I put the two together in a flash.

     "LOOKOUT!" I shouted, but too late: Mangrove stumbled and Exquisite shot ahead. Due to this, she won the challenge.

    "That was a cheat," I said quietly.

     Glory yelled very un-quietly. "THAT WAS NOT FAIR..." etc.

     Nothing could be done, so we moved on.

     Now, a little late, Handsome hurried Dazzling and I towards the trees to go fruit hunting.

     Everyone might have thought that this was a bad idea, a NightWing fruit hunting... but I practically lived in the Rainforest. I knew a lot of fruits, hiding spots, and shadows to blend in. Within the first five minutes, I already had two different fruits.

     I wondered what was going on back at the challenge area...?

     Glory's POV:

     Fruit Bat and Tamarin were up for the flower hunt. I was a little bit worried when Fruit Bat began looking for the red flower immediately while Tamarin just stayed still.

     However, Tamarin shot up to the platform from the Tree Gliding competition and won easily, thanks to her amazing nose.

     Then it was Magnificent camouflaging. I found her in a tree after a few minutes: her camouflage was quite impressive.

     I hid in a different tree, but then Magnificent scared Kinkajou's sloth (Kinkajou looked affronted) and she started trying to get to me.

     Magnificent shot towards me and found me after barely a minute.

     She had won.

     That's when Deathbringer and Dazzling came back. Deathbringer had eighteen fruits, Dazzling had sixteen.

     "Sixteen? There were nineteen here when I-"

     All the dragons turned towards Magnificent, who quickly quieted and looked at the floor. She had cheated.

     Nevertheless, we won. There was one challenge left....

     Deathbringer and I settled down to watch Kinkajou VS Grandeur.

     Grandeur won the "long distance" part of the venom shooting: but when two out of three targets were fired, Kinkajou and Grandeur both shot bull's-eyes. 

     Then, Grandeur was about to shoot her third target when Kinkajou's sloth tumbled into view. Kinkajou quickly shoved it out of the way-

     And Grandeur's venom landed right on her wing.

     The scream echoed everywhere as RainWings panicked.

     "Do something! Get your family!" I shouted.

     Grandeur helplessly said, "I don't know who they are anymore! My daughters were all bad heirs, so we merged out eggs with the regular ones...."

     "Then start trying! Try everyone! Try me!" I shouted.

     Grandeur spit venom on a bush and I also did. It stopped sizzling.

     Quickly, I got a leaf and sprayed my venom on it, and then hastily applied it to Kinkajou's wounds.

     Kinkajou was barely conscious, but I'm sure she heard the RainWings applaud. Here was a RainWing who cared for all living things: while Magnificent had scared a sloth, Kinkajou had protected it.

     Grandeur looked up at the cheering dragons and said, "I forfeit. Kinkajou wins."

     Magnificent snarled, while the rest of us cheered (even louder) happily. Kinkajou bowed in a daze as she became the new RainWing queen.

     Shorttt chapter, but here is the summery of the challenge. I may or may not updat egain today.

     That being said, buckle up for the next few chapters. Chaotic... very much so....

     Also. Sorry for not updating for the past few days, I just go lazy due to Winter Break.