Power for the Princess

OMG THE PLOT STUFF - THE FINAL PLOT TWIST - IT'S ALL BEEN BUILDING UP TO HERE! I don't know exactly how to describe it, but imagine a mountain - that's the story - and we started where the mountain was easiest to climb. Higher and higher we went, in some places steeper than others, but it's all been coming here.
     This chapter is one of three, at the steepest point of the mountain. But now, imagine this: up ahead, the final peak, so close we could almost touch it. And behind it is the descent from the peak of the story to the very end. But unlike most stories, the descent for this one will be very quick - like climbing the mountain and promptly falling off a cliff on the other side. (Don't worry: this is a hypothetical scenario and of course you don't die.) I don't think that's too much of a spoiler. It just means that the end of the story won't take place many chapters later like in some stories, where the main character gets to enjoy a little while of peace or life seems to go back to normal, because I think the ending is straightforward enough to know exactly what happens next. There will only be one chapter after these three, and that's the epilogue: and even that is more about tying this story to the sequel than finishing this one off. With that being said, enjoy one of the FINAL THREE REAL CHAPTERS.

     Third Person POV:

     Anemone watched from the side as the dragonets argued with Blister, hoping against hope they'd find some way to stop her, because what could she do?

     So you just gave up? whispered Zircon's voice in her head, quietly but clearly. You let her take control?

     What choice did she have? Anemone went over everything she knew. She couldn't use her magic unless Blister was controlling her. Right now, she was controlling herself. But what could she do without her magic, really? She was just like these ordinary dragons without her powers. It had really be a humbling experience for Anemone to have been taken over. Still, she didn't think the price of basically her entire life in someone else's talons was a fair price to pay.

     If only someone else had magic. Or someone else could do something. But everyone who wanted to do something was practically helpless. Turtle, her goofy brother, had been acting rather weird the other day... guilty... she assumed he was going to try to do something. Well, she couldn't let anyone else die because she couldn't deal with Blister herself. So she'd told Queen Coral to lock Turtle and his brothers in the most secure prison they had, which turned out to be the animus-proof one Anemone enchanted. That way, even if Blister had another animus on her side or used Anemone to try to summon her brothers, they would be safe. And Turtle didn't have to die. It was strange, really, that Turtle was acting like he'd been holding back and could totally stop Blister all by himself. He was weird, but she wouldn't let him die.

     "Stop!" cried a voice. Anemone looked up to see Glory and Deathbringer closing in on Blister, who was whirling her venomous tail. They all looked ready to kill. Sunny, though, was the one that had spoken. At her words, Glorybringer froze, but didn't take their eyes off Blister.

     "We said no killing!" she said.

     "She needs to die," Deathbringer growled back.

     "Let's let the sisters decide that first," Sunny said. "I don't think it's right to interfere with a royal challenge unless it's absolutely necessary."

     "If we don't stop her now, she'll try to take over the whole of Pyrrhia," Glory pointed out.

     "You're right," said Zircon with a look on his face like he ate something very unpleasant, "but it's literally against the rules to kill her unless she starts the battle."