Chapter 3

Art by Mugiwara
Chapter published on March 30th 2021

Natsu's POV

I opened the guild doors, only to find complete darkness. What made it more strange was that it smelt like everyone was still here.

"Surprise!" The lights flickered on revealing the entire guild all dressed up nicely and wearing party hats.

There were streamers everywhere, balloons too, and even the stage was decorated. The tables had steamers on the ends with a party topper in the middle. The bar had balloons all over with special little parts straws for the drinks. It looked so cool, everything was so colourful and bright.

"Luce, what is this?" I asked the blonde still standing next to me.

"What do you mean Natsu? You can't guess? It's a surprise party for your birthday, we will celebrate into the night and wish you a happy birthday when the clock strikes midnight." She explained.

"For me?? Wait my birthday is tomorrow? What month is it?" How could I forget this.... Well I am Natsu so I shouldn't be surprised I forgot.

"It's July, July 6th today and tomorrow will be the 7th."

"Holy crap," it dawned on me, "I'll be 19 tomorrow!" I couldn't believe I was almost 19, that's awesome! "Well," I looked at everyone around me, "should we party or what??"

With that everyone started cheering, drinks clinked together as music started playing and the lights dimmed. Some people were dancing by the stage and others were sitting and chatting. This party was going to be amazing.

I found a table nearby that Erza, Grey, Juvia, Wendy and Carla were sitting at. Happy, Lucy and I all walked over to them and took a seat. Everyone wished me a happy birthday and congratulated me.

I haden't even noticed but Lucy had gotten up, gone to the bar and come back with a tray of drinks. "Drinks are here!" She exclaimed as she handed everyone a drink. It was clear that me, Erza, Gray, Juvia and Lucy all had alcoholic drinks whereas Wendy had some orange juice and the exceeds had some milk.

I tasted my drink. Yum, its a rum and coke. A good drink to be celebrating with. Lucy sat down beside me with a drink of her own. She was so beautiful tonight, I mean she's beautiful everyday but the outfit she had on was really nice.

Everyone was chatting and having a good time, then I noticed Lucy pull out a bag. She handed it to me.

"Happy Birthday, Natsu, I hope you like it." Then she blushed. I opened the bag carefully and inside was something encased in glass. I pulled the objuec out and set it down the the table. It was a glass orbe atop a golden frame holding it up. Inside was something red. "I was told it was a dragon scale found somewhere far from here. I'm not sure if it's real or not but it made me think of you, I really hope you like it." She said in such a shy tone.

I looked the scale over. Could this really be a dragon scale? I carefully opened the glass casing and sniffed it.

"Natsu?" Lucy asked. "What's wrong?" My eyes began to tear up as a sniffled a little.

"Nothing Luce, I absolutely love it. Thank you." I smiled at her warmly. This was the best gift I could have ever received.