Chapter 14

Chapter published on May 3rd, 2021
Art possibly by DeviantArt

Natsu's POV

We got out of the water and made our way back to the house. What was probably going to be a sexy moment had now vanished with our newfound curiosity. Lucy could barely wait to find out where the trail went and whipped up a super fast breakfast of.... Fish and berries. We both ate in a hurry and then left for the trail.

"Where do you think it will lead?" Lucy squeaked in excitement.

"I don't know Luce, for all we know the end destination could be far away." I watched as her face fell. "Or it could be really close!" She smiled a little and I let out a sigh. That was a close call, I don't want to let her hopes down too much, but on the other hand I don't want her to be thinking we will find something amazing.

We walked side by side and after a minute I slipped my hand into her, locking our fingers together. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her blush a little and smile. She was so cute and I'm so lucky to have her.

While we were walking in silence we saw so many cool things that I don't think she's ever truly gotten to take time and look for. As a kid she grew up in a very wealthy home and I doubt she got time like this to stop and see nature. Sure she's been on missions but during all of those she's been focused on the task ahead. Now, without a task, she can just enjoy life and look at the world around her slowly.

She would stop to sniff the flowers along the path and point out anytime she saw an animal. She got excited over something as small as a butterfly to something larger like a rabbit. When we saw a deer in the distance she stopped dead in her tracks and just stared, eventually it walked away but she was happy to see it nonetheless.

After about half an hour of casually strolling down the path she stopped again, but this time I couldn't see any reason as to why.

"Natsu, do you hear that?" She look over at me with wide eyes. I put my finger to my lips, indicating for her to be quiet, and started to listen. It sounds like bustling about. With my dragon hearing I could surly make out more than her. There was something nearby.

"Let's keep walking and see," I said, not bothering to tell her that I knew what the noise was. She smiled lightly and kept on going. Before long, we broke through the shaded tree line into a small town. Lucy squealed with glee and looked at me, jumping up and down.

"It's a town Natsu! We made it to a town! This means we can find a way home." I looked at her with a happy smile. I was aware of everything she was saying but I wanted her to have this moment.

We started to walk into town. It was small and cute with lots of little shops, diners and businesses. Then a terrible feeling dawned upon me.

"Uh, Luce, I don't think either of us have any money..... How are we going to get home? Any mode of transportation is about to cost something and I think you and me both want to eat something that isn't berries and fish." She whipped her head around and looked at me.

"Shit you're right. Maybe we can rustle up some work, I don't think this town has a guild so bet they have some problem they need fixing."

"Oh yeah! There's definitely gotta be something around here." I walked over to a young woman who was sweeping outside her cafe. She looked sweet with a green dress underneath a white apron. She had dirty blonde hair that was pinned up into a bun.