Chapter 20

Sometimes you guys like to leave threatening comments, I laugh at them but they do scare me... a little...

———————

2 Weeks Later - London, England - Kent Industries Law Firm

"What are you doing?" Charles snuck up on his wife, Grace, with a short glass of whiskey in his hand as his hand brushed her shoulder gently. It was late, probably eight or nine already and she had a half eaten Chinese takeout container next to her.

"I am working on a case," Grace hummed without looking up, shuffling through some papers before picking up her pen and jotting down a quick note on the top of one.

"A case?" Charlie asked with a raised eyebrow, "I thought we agreed that once you had Samantha, you would stop doing big cases? We talked about this, love."

"It is not a big case," Grace sighed, "For Taylor's girlfriend, you remember Taylor?"

"No."

"Well that seems like a you problem."

"Parental right severance in Tennessee? You are not allowed to practice in the state of Tennessee," the man hummed as she took a seat next to the brown haired woman.

"I got permission from the judge since my client lives in California," Grace finally looked up at her husband, minding the way she spoke as to not come off as short or impolite. A key takeaway from her posh and proper upbringing.

"Ahh. Well we should get home then, okay? I am finished for the day."

"Have a good night, I might be home a little later."

"Come home, Gracie. It is late."

"I don't want to!" Grace grumbled as she shook Charlie's hand from her wrist, seeing her brother walk in and give the man a harsh glare.

"Charlie, I think it's time for you to get going," Michael said as he leaned against the door frame and crossed his arms over his chest, his brother-in-law looking upset with his presence.

"Sure," he muttered, taking his glass with him as he left the room. Michael sat down in the formerly occupied chair and sighed.

"Why didn't you tell me that he's drinking again?" The older twin asked, his eyes blaring with concern for his sister.

"It just started a couple days ago, Sam is with Mum until things cool off. Figured that was better, for her and my worries."

"What would you like me to do?" Michael questioned with a very soft tone, knowing that Grace's not-so-great husband wasn't fun to be around when he drank.

Grace shrugged, "Nothing you can do, it'll pass soon."

A few minutes of silence went by before Michael took a look at the paperwork, "Aspyn Grey? I want in on this."

"What? Why?" Grace asked with a small chuckle, shoving a few sheets into a folder and setting it aside.

"She uh- she seemed like a nice woman. What does she need you for? Does it have something to do with Quinn?"

"Mhmm. Quinn is biologically hers but she gave custody to her brother and his wife. He then killed his wife, big long story... and now he's in jail and the grandparents or whatever they were are dead and she needs to get his rights terminated by the court to file for re-adoption and I'm trying to get the court to cease the one year waiting period for that as well," Grace explained all in one breath, not knowing how much of that made sense.

"Wow," Michael said after a moment to process.

"I actually know all the details but it would take me forever to explain so that's the long story short."