Chapter 26

Taylor was standing by the countertop in the kitchen when the front door opened following the jingle of keys. She didn't expect Quinn and Aspyn to be back for at least a few more hours, but she gave Aspyn a spare key so she could get in and out as she was staying there for a few weeks until her apartment situation was sorted out.

In her hands was a letter, addressed from someone in her past. She had never expected to hear from her again, and although they had remained friends after their amicable break-up almost five years earlier, that relationship was severed not long ago.

"Honey? Hey, we're back early. The stupid paps were at the carnival, they might have got a few pictures of— you okay?" Aspyn asked as she walked into the kitchen.

Taylor closed the letter and nodded, wiping the small tears from her eyes which immediately gained Aspyn's attention, "Yeah, sorry. I just got a letter from someone I used to know."

"Oh," Aspyn set Quinn's backpack down gently, "Do you uh... do you wanna talk about it? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay, it was Karlie, actually. We dated for a few years and then she married Josh and that dirty family and she was selling my secrets to Scooter so I had to cut ties with her but she was a close friend of mine. She just sent me a letter about you and Quinn and her new baby, I don't know, sorry I shouldn't be crying over my ex."

"Sweetie, she wasn't just your ex she was a friend too. That hurts, losing friends hurts worse than some breakups and she was both," Aspyn said softly, reaching forward and gently rubbing Taylor's t-shirt covered shoulder for a moment with her thumb in an attempt to sooth without invading the superstar's space.

Dear Taylor,

It's been a long time since we've spoken, and I know that's completely my fault. I did you wrong, I know that more than anything now. I do miss your presence in my life, you were the sunshine, not me. I understand that our trust and relationship has been severed, I'm not looking to change that. Part of me just needed some closure from all this.

You're finally out, and I know that wasn't your intention but it's good to see you're happy with someone. I always thought it was going to be Joe, and what really happened between you two is a mystery to me but you radiate a very different energy with her than you did I or him. It's a lot brighter, a lot lighter.

We broke up because you said you could never bring kids into this world with the spotlight that hangs over you, and I know Joe always wanted the marriage and kids too so I imagine that might have played a part in your separation. It's strange to me that as I sit with my newborn sleeping in his bassinet next to me, you're dating someone who has a child. It makes me wonder if maybe everything is for a reason, and because you and I weren't meant to be, you couldn't sacrifice for me but you can for her.

But maybe it's not a sacrifice and you've changed, it's not my place to comment on that and I know. I'm rambling, my brain is so foggy from diaper changes and sleeping schedules. You'll have to forgive me.

I guess I just wanted to say I hope you're happy now, like very happy and you know I'm proud of you for not crumbling under it all even after all this time. You're the strongest person I know, and even though we are not on good terms after everything went down, I'm grateful to have known you.

I hope you're doing better, and maybe this is some closure for you, too. Take care of yourself.

Love, Karlie