Chapter 48

August 11th, 2022

The car seat test is almost as self explanatory as it sounds. The infant is placed in the car seat, and must keep a steady heart rate, breathing and oxygen level for ninety minutes. If they pass, it is usually the last step in going home.

Standing with her arms around Aspyn's waist, thirty-two year old Taylor was watching the monitors carefully while Aspyn stared at the sandy haired little boy in the carrier.

The hat on his head was stitched with his name, a full wardrobe had been assembled over the last three and a half months, mostly by Aspyn and Taylor shopping online with Aspyn's credit card in hand because she insisted that baby clothes were her responsibility.

She once mumbled something about a birth control pack being much cheaper than baby clothes, and capitalism of baby clothes being karma for it. Although, she was half asleep and on painkillers from her surgery.

Day seventy-five in the NICU had passed the day before and they had received the news that Kieran would be able to test the next morning. Aspyn's birthday being the next day had given her a lot to look forward to, but she mostly hoped he would be home.

"Come on, little man," Taylor whispered as the clock was nearing eighty minutes. Ten more minutes to go and he would get to come home.

"You're gonna give him stage fright,"Aspyn didn't shift her eyes away from him at all. Her fingers had laced with Taylor's instinctively, the nerves between them both had created a layer of sweat between their palms neither even seemed to notice.

The timer ticked upwards painfully slowly, and when the last ten seconds started to come to and end, Aspyn's grip on Taylor's hand got tighter and tighter.

"Fuck yeah!" Aspyn jumped as the timer buzzed and the nurse shut it off. She turned against Taylor and threw her arms around her girlfriend, tears of joy in her colourful eyes as her lips pressed against her girlfriend's stout pair.

Taylor couldn't stop smiling long enough to return it properly but the effort was definitely there. Aspyn waited until she was given the go ahead and unbuckled Kieran from the seat, picking him up and pulling him to her chest.

"You're coming home with us," Aspyn whispered as she rocked him in her arms, he was awake and looking at her with his blue eyes. She assumed they would change to a brown or hazel later on, but she kind of hoped he would keep the colour because it reminded her of both Taylor and Joe.

"Quinn is going to throw a fit," Taylor hummed with a small laugh, leaning over and looking at the baby who clutched onto Aspyn's shirt and pulled it with the spasm of his newly chubby arms.

Aspyn cracked a smile and nodded weakly, "That's her issue. Mr. Squishy just wanted to give Mommy a birthday present, huh? Look at you my big man, oh my, you're so strong!"

"I'm gonna call my mom and let her know he passed," Taylor pressed a kiss to the shorter girl's temple and grabbed her phone off the table next to the empty car seat. She slid open the glass door after moving the privacy curtain and stepped into the hallway where she met Dominic, always posted not far from where the couple went.

"So we can take him today, right? That's what Doctor Robbins said, I just want to make sure... kind of because I don't believe it."

The nurse nodded, "Yes, that's right. We're gonna do one final check up and then you'll have to see your paediatrician next week for another check up."

"Thank you," Aspyn gave a proper smile to the woman who had been caring for Kieran since the night he was born. She continued to hold him in her arms and rub his back, something she didn't get to do often enough without the wires and monitors attached to him.