Chapter 21

A nice little court chapter, not extremely Taylor/Aspyn centric but necessary.

________

Nashville, Tennessee - May 17th, 2021 - Court

"Are you ready? You look great, where's Quinn?" Grace said as she approached Aspyn, who was dressed in a black pantsuit with her hair perfectly curled by Taylor earlier that morning.

"She's with Taylor, you said not to bring her unless the judge asked," Aspyn said, worrying that she had made a mistake and left Quinn with her girlfriend across the city on accident.

"No, you're right. I just was curious," Grace hummed, "So this is probably going to be straightforward, I tried to find out what the judge was like ahead of time but no one I know has worked with him before. I'm hoping it'll be a quick statement from you and Daniel both, the judge will ask some questions, I'll present the reasoning and then we'll be done by the end of the day."

"Is Daniel allowed to try and speak to me? My brother— he scares the shit out of me."

"Not in the courtroom, and he'll be with guards who will bring him back to the penitentiary right after so it's not likely he'll be able to say anything to you. Especially if he thinks he has a chance of retaining his rights... the DNA tests came back and it proves he's not her father and you're her mother. We're good to go," Grace explained as she examined her watch.

"Sorry, just had to use the restroom," Michael came around the corner with a briefcase and a very high-priced suit on. Aspyn had known Grace had allowed him to help with some paperwork but she didn't know he was coming.

"I didn't know you were coming," Aspyn said softly to the older twin.

"Last minute, decided to get out and do something before the baby comes in a few weeks. I hope you don't mind."

"No, not at all," the actress gave a small smile, "The more lawyers the merrier, I guess."

"I can't believe you two slept together," Grace fake gagged, catching Aspyn off guard who quickly raised her eyebrows.

"What?! Did you—"

"That wasn't very professional of me," Grace said quickly, "Just saying you're very awkward together, I don't see how it happened. He's my brother, I'm allowed."

"How— you know? You didn't tell me," Aspyn stuttered, raising her hand up to the bridge of her nose and squeezing it as she tried to collect her thoughts.

Grace turned to Michael who gave a small, mischievous smile, "I didn't exactly tell her you knew..."

"Idiot," Grace rolled her green eyes, the same ones Michael had that pierced souls a bit when dirty looks were thrown around.

"So before we go in there," Michael gently shoved Grace with his elbow as he began, "Is there anything we need to know?"

"Uh— if you lose my kid to a man with a life sentence in prison I will make it my personal mission to ruin your lives?" Aspyn said, ending it slightly high pitched as a question because she wasn't sure if that was good enough.

"Well then... let's go inside."

Inside the courtroom, there was the swearing in of Aspyn before Daniel was brought in from the holding area by the judges chambers. He had shaggy dark hair, brown eyes and a defined jaw that was being overshadowed by a light patch of stubble on his chin.