Chapter 51

I took a nice break during exams, was slightly stumped with how to piece the rest of this story together. Tell me what you think, I think we still have a long way to go :)

———————

Three days later, Taylor was still laying in bed. She was next to a trashcan full of tissues, blanket tucked under her chin as she laid on her left side, facing the doorway away from the closed blinds. Her tears had long since dried, but her nose was still congested.

Aspyn was in the shower, which was basically the only time she had been asking Taylor to keep an eye on the baby. Quinn was in her room a couple doors down the hallway with her iPad, staying busy while Aspyn took fifteen minutes to herself.

Taylor only laid in bed and walked to the bathroom, the occasional meal passing through her end table set there by Aspyn.

The dark door began to creak open, tiny fingers turned the handle slowly. Taylor shifted her blue-eyed gaze slightly, just enough to view the wooden door.

In came Quinn, whispering because it was dark and she assumed that Taylor was asleep. Kieran was asleep in the bassinet across the room, enough distance that the child who still refused to meet him wasn't bothered by him.

"Mama? Can I cuddle you?" Quinn pouted ever so softly, coming to her with years of practice. Aspyn had told her not to bother Taylor unless there was an emergency, the blonde was too far into grieving.

Taylor processed slowly, her brain being in a funk-like state for a few days had made her exhausted and weary. She nodded, lifting her arm up so the blanket moved out of the way, allowing Quinn into her embrace.

"Mommy said you're sad again today," Quinn began to explain, tucking the blanket back down like Taylor always did when she tucked her in, "Mommy was crying downstairs, I tried to cuddle her but she had it with her."

"Mommy was crying?" Taylor croaked out, very few words had been spoken unless you count shrieking sobs of grief.

"Mommy cries everyday," Quinn said quietly.

"She does? Why haven't you been telling me?" Taylor began to worry. If Quinn was telling the truth, the singer had no idea this was going on.

"Mommy said not to worry, she was okay. Been crying a lot since it came home."

"I will talk to Mommy, okay? You don't need to worry, but you start telling Mama if it happens again," Taylor pressed a kiss to the back of Quinn's head and played with her brown waves while the little girl hummed in agreement.

A couple minutes later, Kieran began to cry. Quinn was startled, as was Taylor. The water was still running in the bathroom so Taylor sighed and stood up, walking over to the bassinet and rolling up her sleeves. She realized she kind of smelled and needed a good shower.

"Squishy," Taylor hummed, picking him up and pulling him towards his chest. For just over four months old, he was still small. The doctors said he would generally catch up in everything by age two, which was good to hear for a very worried Aspyn.

How long had it been since she held him?

"You need a diaper change," the blonde said to him, walking over the changing table they had lugged in to make night time changes easier and placed him on it. One hand on his stomach to steady him, and another reaching towards the lamp next to it to provide the room with some light.

"Is it gonna stink?" Quinn asked, eyebrows furrowed. Taylor chuckled and shook her head.

"No, he just had to pee."