Ten

"Jocelyn, I just can't, okay! He loves me. I know he does. He just gets angry sometimes." Harper cried as she rationalized her recent return to her abuser despite them working to get her relocated a state over. It had taken them 3 weeks since their last visit before Jocelyn was able to fully get the woman settled.

"This isn't love, Harper. You said it yourself during our second meeting if a man can put his hands on you regardless of what emotion he's feeling, then it means he's not someone you want to share life's highs and lows with." Jocelyn spoke softly, her hand placed on Harper's.

When she'd first came in with a fresh black eye, it caused a deep ache in Jocelyn's chest. She knew it was hard to leave an abuser, but Harper seemed to have been ready for it.

"I-I know. It's just so hard. I wish we could go back to the way things used to be. I love him so much." She sobbed as she held herself.

Jocelyn knew Harper just needed someone to comfort her in that moment. She slowly began with rubbing her back, allowing the woman to see she had no ill intentions. The embrace was completed by Harper as she laid her head in Jocelyn's neck and wrapped her arms around her waist.

"Whatever you want to do, I'll be here for you."
...

"Goodnight." Jocelyn muttered tiredly to the security guards before making her way to her car.

The day proved exhausting and she could hardly keep her eyes open as she slowly drove home. Thankfully, the streets were fairly empty.

"Shit!" She smacked herself as she realized she'd forgotten to pick up the paint order she'd placed last week. The painters would be spending all day tomorrow painting her apartment so she had to think quick or else she'd be paying a reschedule fee.

Pulling over on a side street, she contemplated calling Miles. It was almost midnight so there wouldn't be any stores open at this time.

Over the last three weeks, the pair were inseparable. They'd gone on picnics, numerous dates, and even managed to begin biking together on the weekends. Jocelyn was surprised he hadn't asked for space yet considering they saw each other every day to some capacity.

She dialed the number without further contemplation as she realized he'd either help her or simply not be up.

"Jocelyn? Is everything okay?" He answered on the second ring.

"Yeah, well no. I need a big favor." She bit her lip as she awaited his reply.

"Anything. What's up?"

"I was so caught up in work I forgot to pick up my paint order and the crew is coming tomorrow to repaint my apartment. Do you think I could get something from your shop? You don't have to mix anything I can just grab whatever." Jocelyn rambled in an attempt to make things easier for him.

"I can mix something for you baby, I don't mind. Do you want me to pick you up?" He spoke softly.

"No, I'm already in my car. Thank you so much. I owe you one."
...

Jocelyn pulled up the shop 20 minutes later. Immediately her jaw dropped at the appearance of the small shop. She'd expected something more commercial with boring grey bricks and a generic name.

Despite being together for nearly two months now, she'd yet to see his shop. The building before her was not what she'd been expecting. The cream bricks made the bright green doorway stand out and the dark shade overhead clearly displayed the name.

Miles came strolling out, his t-shirt and pants covered in a number of colors. Jocelyn met him halfway with a kiss.

"Thank you so much for this." She smiled as he laid his forehead on hers.