Nineteen

Jocelyn rolled her eyes as she was escorted to a secluded spot where she'd be joining her parents for lunch. The restaurant was typical of all the fancy places they loved to eat: high ceilings, gleaming chandeliers, and expensive center pieces.

"Oh lord," she heard her mother groan as soon as she was within sight, "what are you wearing, Jocelyn?"

"Good afternoon, mama." She ignored the woman's question as she pulled her into an embrace.

"Hi, baby. How are you?" Her father spoke as she turned to embrace him next.

"I'm doing good. Finally scored a raise." She gushed as they took their seats at the table. It was circular and held five seats.

"Darren Snow will be joining us for lunch by the way." Her mother spoke. The woman eyed Jocelyn as if she were supposed to know who the man was.

Before Jocelyn could question her, a man came strolling up to their table. He stood tall, similar to her fathers height, with dazzling hazel eyes that contrasted his smooth dark skin. Jocelyn noticed how handsome he was. He had a low buzzcut, strong Afrocentric features, and a lopsided smile that was charming.

"Darren, this is my daughter, Jocelyn." Her mother gushed as she eagerly stood to greet the man. Immediately, Jocelyn knew she was attempting to set the pair up.

"Nice to meet you, Darren." She smiled softly, shaking his hand politely. The smile he threw her would have swept her off her feet had she not already been smitten.

"Wow. You are absolutely gorgeous. The pleasure is surely all mine." He spoke, his voice low and filled with flirtatious tones.

"Thanks." Nodding, Jocelyn took her seat once more and slid it to her left as Darren sat to her right.

"So, Jocelyn, where's my future son in law?" Her father spoke, a knowing smirk on his lips as he mentioned Miles.

Oddly enough, Miles and Earl seemed to take a liking to one another immediately. After their first brunch together the two shared almost every weekend together when Jocelyn was unavailable. She found it heartwarming that they liked each other so much.

"Son in law?" Her mother chirped, her lip raised in disgust per usual.

"My boyfriend, Miles, mama. And he's going to be a bit late in joining us because he's at a doctors appointment." Jocelyn made sure to put emphasis behind the word boyfriend.

"Miles?" She questioned in confusion before realization crossed her face. It was followed by her rolling her eyes. "I've met the boy once so it must not be that serious."

"Joc-" her father attempted but she'd already started talking.

"Well, he's a man for one, ma. And it is serious to me. We're approaching our one year anniversary in two weeks." A smile bloomed on her face as she realized how quickly they'd been approaching a year.

Time seemed to not exist when she was with Miles. They never seemed to argue or even disagree on things without a healthy conversation behind it. She was sure she loved him.

"A year? And I've only met him once?" Her mother rose her lip. "Earl, have you met this...man?"

"Yes, Nibella, I tell you this every weekend." He laughed lightly.

"Well," she muttered as she realized she was outnumbered on this, "isn't he white anyways?"

"And?" Jocelyn shrugged. "I don't care what race he is. He's an amazing man who I'm going to marry one day. Whether you like it or not, ma."