Two

Doey brown eyes paired with a bright white smile greeted her eyes. The man was pretty tall with milk chocolate skin a shade lighter than hers- his hair in a neat tapered cut.

"Hello." Jocelyn smiled as he sat across from her. His broad chest was covered in an army green, long sleeve crew neck paired with dark wash jeans.

"Dwain, and you are?" He extended his hand and she now regretted not painting her nails.

"Jocelyn." Dwain smirked at her as his thumb lightly rubbed the back of her hand. Pulling her hand back, she crossed her legs and straightened her back. "So, tell me about yourself?"
...

"I could have went pro, but I tore my ACL, you know. The team went on to lose every game without me and I can't help but feel sorry for my brothers." Dwain spent the 5 minutes talking about his college basketball days and Jocelyn politely nodded along- the tale going in one ear and out the other.

"But enough about me. What about yourself?" He smiled and leaned on the table. Just as she opened her mouth, the bell to switch came on. Relief filled her as she realized she was one person closer to being back in her own bed.

"So, can I get your number?" Dwain asked as he got up from the chair.

"I actually just got a new number so I don't know it yet. Give me yours and I'll just text you." She smiled as she easily lied her way out of giving away her information. Dwain nodded and eagerly scribbled down his number on a card before hustling to the next table. Jocelyn sat the card on the corner of the table- knowing if she put it in her purse she'd forget to throw it away.
...

It was nearing 1 am and she was beyond tired. Both corners of her side of the table were filled with cards and the stack was now spilling towards the middle. She'd be lying if she said it wasn't an ego boost but another part of her was sad she couldn't find anyone she seemed to click with.

"Alright guys! Last rotation of the night- make it count." Resting her head in the palm of her hands, Jocelyn prayed for the night to be over already.

"Rough night?" Called a deep voice and she immediately lifted her head. The man stood taller than any she'd talked to with soft brown hair that was combed away from his eyes. Black glasses framed blue eyes that seemed to be mixed with some green and a thick beard sat around his chin.

"You could say that." Jocelyn chuckled as she straightened her back in the chair.

"Well, just five more minutes of agony and you'll be done." He smiled lightly before his eyes flickered to the stack of cards around her.

"So you're saying you'll be just like the rest?" She chirped. The man sat his crossed arms on the table and Jocelyn could see just how strikingly handsome he truly was up close.

"Well if all the men you met tonight were average looking with mediocre communication skills and an odd obsession with geometric shapes, then yes." Jocelyn couldn't help but smile at the sentence- the nudge at self deprecation a welcoming sight.

"Add on a terrible ability to sell himself as an interesting character." She joked back butterflies filling her stomach at the smile he sent her way.

"Ah, how could I forget. The very trait that has lead me to this event." He chuckled before extending his hand.

"Miles Ellis."

"Jocelyn Major."
———