Five

"Bullshit!" Jocelyn called as she laid next to Miles. They had moved to her bed, just so the two could get more comfortable as the alcohol began to kick in. She was now dressed in shorts and a t-shirt while Miles remained in his jeans and undershirt.

"I promise I'm not lying. When I got back to the car, I couldn't even believe what had happened." He laughed hysterically at his story. He'd been telling her about the time he went to a bar on New Years and it turned into a big ass brawl when the countdown ended.

By now they both were beyond drunk and Jocelyn felt herself spinning as she laid on the bed. A sloppy smile placed itself on her lips and she held her hand up in the air- the alcohol distorting her view.

"This is...cool." She lazily announced as she wiggled her fingers. Miles reached up and placed his hand next to hers, mimicking her actions.

Jocelyn placed her hand over his and interlaced their fingers- a smile blooming as she eyed the contrast between their skin color. The smile left her face as he lightly pulled his hand from hers and placed it on his stomach.

"What'd you do that for?" She questioned as she reached for his hand again. Miles sat up and stared down at her with a look she couldn't comprehend in her inebriated state.

"Yo-you're drunk. This isn't the right thing to do while you're not able to think clearly." Miles stared down at their hands, his thumb rubbing her hand softly. The confession made her snort and she laughed loudly- the alcohol intensifying the humor of the sentiment.

"God, Miles, you're so adorable." She smiled lazily as he stared at her in confusion. A red crept on to his cheeks and he dipped his head to get away from her gaze. "Why do you think I asked for your number out of all the men who gave me their numbers? Why do you think I even invited you here?"

Leaning up, she closed her eyes as the room spun slightly. When she finally opened them the room was still and she was inches from Miles. The apprehension was clear on his face making her confused. Why was a man like Miles so unsure of himself?

"I-I just think... I don't know." He muttered before running a hand through his hair- the red of his cheeks now spread to his neck. It made Jocelyn smile.

"Miles, you're a total catch. I really enjoy our time together and I want to get to know you more- in any way you're comfortable." She confessed as she placed her hand under his chin to make him look her in the eyes. With only her bedside lamp lighting their space, his eyes seemed to be dark pools of uncertainty and it made her heartbreak.

"Jocel-" Before he could finish what she knew would be an excuse, she leaned forward to brush her lips against his. His breathing audible hitched and Jocelyn didn't push it any further as she wanted him to want her like she wanted him. After a couple seconds, Miles had yet to kiss her fully so she pulled back- the sting of the rejection settling deep within her stomach.

"Okay. Friends?" She smiled softly despite the ache within her. Miles had shown her exactly what she wanted in a man at one point. He was smart, driven, attentive, thoughtful, humorous, and they instantly clicked. If there was a type of man she'd be willing to marry, Miles was it.

An awkward silence filled the room and Jocelyn cursed herself for essentially forcing herself on him. She should have read the situation better. Before she could truly beat herself down, she laid back in her spot as the situation quickly sobered her.

"I-I'm sorry." Miles broke the silence and Jocelyn felt even worse. It shouldn't have been something he felt the need to apologize for.

"There's nothing for you to feel sorry about. I'm glad we cleared things up." She leaned her head to the side to look at his reaction. Miles was already staring at her, the soft lighting casting a glow on his face that stirred her feelings up once more.

"No!" He rushed out before cringing at how loud he was. "I'm sorry. I...I just." The frustrated string of words confused Jocelyn even more and she sat up as she waited for him to finish.

"Fuck it." He muttered before leaning forward, his lips smashing against hers and his hand holding the side of her neck. Jocelyn felt sparks shoot down her spine as she eagerly kissed him back- his lips expertly leading the kiss. Moving to her knees, she crawled closer to sit on his lap while wrapping her arms around his neck.

Miles gripped her waist as she swirled her hips and lightly tugged at his hair. Jocelyn wanted to see him lose control and hoped the slight alcohol would help that. She opened her mouth and allowed his tongue to explore her own- moans escaping as he moved his hand down to grip her ass.

Before things could go any further, Miles pulled his head back and simply rested his forehead against hers. Jocelyn loved the feeling of his beard against her skin and her mind immediately imagine it between her legs. She giggled as she realized that would probably be a step too far before crawling from his lap to return to her spot.

"That was great." She complimented as she returned her head to the pillow. The kiss had solidified their mutual feelings and she was excited for where this relationship would go. The silence that met her ears made her panic. Turning, she found Miles no longer facing her- the stance making her sit up once more. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." He muttered as he shook his head slightly, the action causing his hair to fall into his eyes.

"You can talk to me, Miles. I'm sorry if I pushed it. I completely understand and value your feelings and I don't want you to feel like mine are more valid." She tried to soothe any qualms he may have, the feeling of regret once more settling in her stomach.

"It's not that, Jocelyn. In fact it's the direct opposite." He chuckled softly still faced away from her. She furrowed her eyebrows as she tried to comprehend what he was talking about.

"What do you mean?" She questioned softly as she crossed her legs and tucked a fallen twist into her messy bun.

"I like you, Jocelyn. A lot more than I should for having only met you." His voice was hesitant and timid but Jocelyn was happy he was willing to confess his true feelings. "But I don't...I- I don't want to be hurt again."

The rawness of his voice put the situation into perspective. It all finally made sense- his constant worry for how she viewed him, the constant apologizing, and his timid nature.

"I don't want to hurt you either, Miles, and I won't. We can take things slow or even not at all- you set the pace and I'll follow." Jocelyn spoke softly and honestly. She wanted him to know she truly understood the weight of a partners words and she would never do anything to remotely hurt him.

"It's easier said than done." The confession rang entirely too true. Miles finally turned towards her, a rawness in his eyes she'd never seen. Jocelyn smiled softly as she was unsure of what to say back to his confession- this relationship thing a new concept to her.

A smile finally made its way on to his face causing her own to blossom even further. Laying back on the bed, he scooted closer and placed his head in her lap. Jocelyn immediately interlaced her fingers in his hair, the soft strands slipping through her fingers, and began to massage his head.

"We'll just go slow, I guess." He whispered out before biting his lip nervously.

"Slow and steady."
————