chapter 6. end of Quanjiang city arc

The outbreak is dying down.   More and more zombies are being killed. Only a few more days until the rest of the zombies are killed, then the cleaning up can begin. 

But things rarely go to plan.  

Masked figures attack the police station. A couple hundred of them. They lock the station down, not letting anyone else in.  They take Jill,Chris and Ru out of the station and to a hidden location.  This left Y/n alone. 

Y/n fought through some attackers before all the TVs turned on.  He looked at it to see the same figure from the lab.  

Figure: Hello again.  I know you're watching this, monster.  Was the shock and awe fun for you? I had a blast. 

The figure moved to reveal Jill, Chris and Ru on their knees with their hands tied behind their backs. 

Figure: You're wondering what to call us aren't you? Well we call ourselves the Apexes. I am the second in command, our alpha isn't here right now.  There are cameras in every nook and cranny in this station.  This will make sure you play along with the game I have planned.   But first, no mask for you. Take it off.

Y/n stood there and stared at the TV.

Apex leader: TAKE IT OFF!  

Y/n didn't play along.

The Apex leader took out a pistol and pointed it at Ru. He shot Ru in the gut. 

Jill: SHIT!  

Y/n clenched his fist. He reached and took off his mask, dropping it on the floor.

Apex leader: Someone make sure he doesn't bleed out. I want him to watch the monster die.  Anyway.  So monster, I hav-.

Jill: His name is Y/n asshole.

Apex leader: I don't give a damn if you named him Mr fluffy. 

The leader shot Jill in the gut.

Chris: Jill!  

Jill fell onto her back. This enraged Y/n.

Y/n in head: YOU HURT MY FRIEND! I WILL TEAR YOU LIMB FROM LIMB AND WATCH YOU BLEED OUT! 

Apex leader: As I was saying. I have some puzzles for you to solve. Three in total.  You solve them, you can come and look for me. Oh, and don't worry about you're friends. They won't die, I want them to watch you die first.   If it wasn't obvious, the apexes are hunting you. Have fun.

The TVs turn off.   Y/n searched for the first puzzle.   Some Apexes stood in his way. 

apex: Kill him!

One lunged at Y/n. He grabbed him by the head and slammed him into the wall crushing his skull.  Y/n was not messing around.    One by one the apexes fell to brute strength alone.  

Soon it was clear and Y/n moved on with blood soaking his hands.  

More apexes showed up from time to time. They expected a hunt, not to be slaughtered.

Y/n managed to find a puzzle box. He began to fiddle with it.

While he was fiddling with the box. Apexes set up defensive positions at the other two boxes.  Hunting down Y/n in groups would only lead to them being picked off group by group. 

Y/n finally finished the box and got one of three keys.

He began to wander around, looking for the second box. He noticed the apexes were all together at two locations. So he went to the power box.

The leader watched on the cameras as he saw Y/n open the box.  He watched Y/n turn off the power.   The cameras went to night vision.   

Y/n went to the first area, he smashed through a wall into the area.  The apexes were caught off guard by this attack.   Y/n  made quick work of them and got the box, he solved the box and moved on.

The last area he went in through the roof. Crushing a few beneath him as he landed. 

The rest didn't stand a chance.   He got the box and solved it. 

He went to the front door which had the lock on it. As he removed the last lock, apexes with wings flew around the lobby.  They dove down at Y/n, using hit and run tactics.  But it was all for nothing.

Y/n used his tendrils  to snatch them out of the air and slam them on the ground where he would finish them. 

The TV in the lobby turned on, showing the Apex leader.

Apex leader: Well done. But you still have to find me. I'm giving you until the sun rises in three hours.   So have fun.

The TV turned off.

Y/n noticed that one of the apexes were still alive.  Conveniently. 

Y/n approached her as she tried to crawl away.  Y/n hovered over her as she turned around on her back and looked up at him.  Y/n wrapped a tendril around her neck and lifted her onto her feet.

She knew what he wanted from her. And she didn't have much of a choice. Show him where the base was, or die.

After being led there by the captured apex, she was let go. 

Y/n attacked the front guards.  This caused a panic in the defenders.  They didn't expect him to find them in this huge city.   Y/n smashed through them.

The leader looked at his cameras in the  building, he watched his apexes get slaughtered.

Apex leader: No. This isn't how it's supposed to go. We're supposed to be the ultimate life forms. 

Jill's breathing was heavy.  Chris looked at her wound.

Chris: She needs a doctor!

Ru has recovered for the most part. The leader didn't hit Ru as good as Jill.

Apex leader: SHUT UP! *slams fist on desk, accidentally turning on the speakers*  I don't give a damn if she dies!   You'll all be dead soon anyway!  

Y/n heard this and sped up.  

Y/n's big footsteps echoed through the halls.  The leader noticed that he turned on the speakers.

Apex leader: Shit.

Y/n suddenly came through a wall and grabbed two guards. He smashed both of their heads in hands and looked at the leader. 

The leader pulled his gun and went to aim at his hostages.  Y/n shot a tendril at him piercing through his stomach. Y/n pulled him in and held him in front of him. 

The tendril wrapped around and around him and went to his face. The tendril shot through the nose and hit the brain, killing him instantly. 

Y/n dropped the now dead leader. He went over to Chris and undid his bonds. Chris undid Ru's and Y/n looked at the injured Jill. 

Y/n in head: Friend. No. :(

Jill looked at Y/n.

Jill: *weakly* Hey.

Y/n picked Jill up in one arm very gently and with his other hand, put pressure on the wound.

Y/n remember that he saw a medkit. He sped walked over to where he saw it.  He grabbed the kit and preformed first aid with one hand.     Jill endured it.   Y/n went back to Chris who was helping Ru.

Ru: I think it's time you three went home.  We can handle things from here.

Chris: You sure?

Ru: Yes.  You've done more than enough. The city would have fallen without you three here. 

Chris called a helicopter. Hours later the helicopter arrived.  Jill was still on Y/n's arm. 

It didn't take long for the city to be zombie free after that. But the virus isn't gone.