六 (Six)

(Arielle's POV)

I walked into the station with my purse and a bag full of food.

"Arielle, it's been a while. How've you been?" Judith, the lady at the front desk smiled.

"Good. How about you?"

"Good. You here for your dad?"

"Yeah, I brought him some lunch."

"You can head on in."

"Thanks."

I walked back to his office and knocked on the door before opening it. He was sitting behind his desk staring at a file.

"Hey! What are you doing here?" He asked in surprise.

"Mom and I went out for lunch and we ordered you some." I said holding up the bag in my hand.

"Where is your mother?"

"She dropped me off because she has a hair appointment."

"Enough said." He chuckled.

He moved all his papers to the side and started pulling the food out while I sat across from him.

"How are things going?" I asked, noticing papers everywhere and a whiteboard filled with writing.

He shook his head. "It's nuts."

"Case not going well?"

"Not at all."

"Is it your FBI case?"

"Yeah. The nightclub bust failed completely. It's like they knew we were coming and canceled the meeting."

"Maybe the information was wrong."

"There's no way. Our source had given us a lot of legitimate information up to that point."

"Is your source someone closely associated with them? If so then maybe they changed their mind." I said.

"Let's just say blood isn't always thicker than water."

"A family member?" I whispered.

He nodded.

My dad has always been one who isn't afraid to share details about his work or cases. He knows how much he can and can't share, so he never says to much.

I've always been a fan of crime shows and books, so I enjoy hearing about his job. That's one reason why I'm one person he doesn't mind sharing information with.

He knows.....he thinks that what he says will stay between us. It has always been that way, but not this time.

I didn't want any of the family to get hurt or locked up. I knew that meant betraying my dad's trust, but.....I had to.

"I read that the local Yakuza boss has five sons. Is it one of them?"

He laughed. "Hell no. We looked into them initially, but decided that none of them would flip on their family."

I was going to ask something else when the door opened.

"We're needed in autopsy." Colten said, poking his head in.

"Be there in a minute."

"Autopsy?"

"Got a new case this morning." Dad said, standing up. "I'll be back in a few."

"Okay. I'll stay here and finish my dessert, if that's okay." I said holding up the brownie I'd gotten from the restaurant.

"Take your time." He smiled.