三十二 (Thirty-Two)

(Arielle's POV)

Panic.

That's what I felt when I woke up and Koan was nowhere in sight.

The heart rate monitor started beeping the more I felt myself start to panic. A nurse, my family, and Izumi came rushing in.

"Elle, what's wrong?" Mom asked as the nurse started to come over to check on me.

The nurse was about to inject something into my IV line to calm my heart rate when Izumi stopped her. She sat on the edge of my bed and grabbed my face gently in her hands.

"He'll be right back. Doc made him go get more scans." She said. "He'll be right back, Elle. I promise."

He went to get more scans. Scans will tell if he's okay. He has to be okay. He needs the scans. He will come right back afterward.

I repeated that to myself until my heart rate calmed down and the nurse left.

"Can...Can you..."

Izumi smiled and nodded. "I'll see how it's going."

She left to find Doc and Koan which meant it was just me, my parents, and Colten.

The room was silent as none of us said anything. Colten was the first to break the silence.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Fine." I answered.

Aside from the uneasiness of Koan being gone, I was fine. Nothing hurt. My stitches itched a bit, but I was physically fine otherwise.

"Maybe a bit hungry." I said.

"I can go get you something." He offered. "You want the cafeteria or want me to sneak something in?"

I smiled. "Sneak."

"You got it." He grinned.

He left the room only to come back seconds later.

"You want me to get Koan something too?"

"Please." I said, not knowing when the last time he ate was.

"Anything I shouldn't get?"

"He's allergic to cinnamon and a bit of a picky eater so just get him whatever you get me." I told him and he nodded.

Minutes ticked by after he left and not one word was spoken until my mother spoke.

"So...he's allergic to cinnamon too?"

"Yeah." I answered, smiling just a little.

"His mom is very nice."

"So is his dad." I said, picking at the bedsheet.

"And his brothers?"

"Nice too."

It was then that I remembered something. I looked over at my dad and saw that he was staring down at his hands.

"Dad," I said, causing his head to snap up.

"Y-Yeah?"

"Colten told me that...the FBI knows about me and him. What...what's going to happen?"

"Nothing."