十一 (Eleven)

A/N:

Sorry.....😬😬🤭🤭

0 to 100 real quick.

-B. 😘

~~~~~~~~~~~
(Arielle's POV)

"Did you hear about the bodies they found?"

"Bodies?"

"Yeah. Two of them washed up on the nearby beach."

"The police know anything?"

"They're saying that it may be the work of the local mafia."

"Mafia?"

"Yeah. More specifically, they think it was local Yakuza."

"Why?"

"All four guys were missing their left pinkie."

"Pinkies?"

"Yeah. Apparently, if you do something bad then you can chop off your pinkie and give it to your boss as a sign of remorse. It's apparently a Yakuza thing."

I wanted to stay and listen more to their conversation, but I had to get back to work. My lunch break was over.

It's been four days since Thanksgiving and I haven't seen Koan since.

After our....moment in his room, nothing happened. We stayed there with our foreheads pressed together until Izumi knocking on the door had us moving apart. It was like we were daring each other to make the first move and neither of us did. I didn't sleep in the spare room though. I slept beside him like I had the previous time.

I haven't seen him since then because Kintaro has had the whole house on lockdown. Apparently they got information that could lead to whoever is betraying them and he wants everyone safe until they investigate that lead further. Doc hasn't even been allowed in.

"Arielle!" April yelled as soon as I got back.

"Here." I said.

"Doctor McCall needs you with him."

"Where?"

"ICU."

Thinking the absolute worst had happened, I rushed up to the ICU where I found Doc standing with very familiar individuals.

"What happened? Is someone injured?" I asked.

"None of us." Kintaro answered.

"Who?"

"An.....associate of ours."

I looked into the room to see a man hooked up to all sorts of machines.

"What happened to him?"

"We found him like that."

"Found him?"

"The lead we were looking into. We found him like that. We need him alive and awake so that he can tell us who did that to him."

"Is he connected to the bodies found this morning missing their pinkies?" I asked quietly.

Kintaro gave me a funny look.

"I heard some people talking about it at lunch."

"In our....world, if you do something....wrong then you are required to pay by gifting your boss your pinkie. That's the punishment that comes before....being killed. It's sort of a way to....clean your slate with your boss while knowing that he will remember what you did and that he can't fully trust you until you prove yourself trustworthy again. If whatever you did is severe enough then the boss will take both pinkies and your life at the same time."