Chapter 3

When I opened my eyes, I was greeted by a white ceiling

When I opened my eyes, I was greeted by a white ceiling. The cold and sickly smell of the surroundings made me believe that I was at a hospital now.

When I attempted to shift my body, I discovered my left hand was handcuffed. I forced myself to take a deep breath, hoping to at least quell the dryness in my throat.

While I was trying to sit up again, I heard footsteps approaching. I quickly lay back in bed and shut my eyes.

I get the impression that more than one person is inside when the door opens.

"Officer Shang, you have one job to do, and yet you let Carlo do something stupid," said the man I cannot identify.

"I'm sorry, sir," the woman said, who I believe was the policewoman who brought me here.

"Bueno, gawin n'yo ang lahat upang mapagtakpan ang nangyaring ito. Hindi maaaring masira ang mga plano natin," the man added.

Sinikap kong magkunwaring tulog lalo na ng maramdaman ko ang paglapit nila sa aking kama.

"What a poor woman," sambit pa niya.

"Sir, may I ask why you have the need to prohibit her from receiving guests? Hindi ba't maling hakbang iyon para sa atin?" Malalim na bumunot ng hininga ang lalaki.

"Mel Carter Hart, do you know him?" he asked. Natigilan ako at pinigilan ang sariling kumibo nang marinig ko ang pangalan ni Carter.

"The swimmer who had a serious issue two years ago?"

"Exactly."

"What about him?"

"She is friends with Mel Carter, and you know how tricky that guy is," he said in a response that confused me.

What the hell are they talking about? Bakit nadamay si Carter dito? Sila ba ang may pakana sa nangyayari sa akin?

"I understand, sir."

"Good."

Both of them then exit the room. I opened my eyes and began to worry about what I had heard. Why am I not allowed to receive visitors because of Carter? What does Carter do to be called a cunning man, as they seem to be saying?

After pulling myself together once again, I was able to sit up straight and ignore the anguish shooting through my wounds. I lowered my feet to the floor, reaching the bottle of water that was positioned over the tiny desk. I couldn't help but drop some water into my hospital gown while fumbling to open the lid with my handcuff.

I glance at the chain after I've finished the water. When I notice some of the wounds and bruises that Carlo has given me, I tightly close my eyes. I still recall how much I pleaded with him to stop.
My chicks were suddenly filled with tears, and all I could do was wipe them away.

I am done. Pagod na akong paglaruan ng tadhana. Even if I'm not the perfect woman in the world, I still have emotions.

As a matter of fact, I detest having sex. My body should be given to the man I love exclusively. But it was too late now. And the idea that I should accept a man touching me on a regular basis sickened me.