Chapter 16

“Anong nangyari sa inyo?” Takang bungad ni Ate Marissa sa amin

“Anong nangyari sa inyo?” Takang bungad ni Ate Marissa sa amin. Tila bakas sa mga mukha namin ang pagod at puyat.

Barry and I were up all night speculating about the identity of that man. Why did Mrs. Winston have to come here yesterday? She even yelled in my face, designating the police officers present as witnesses. If she truly did hire that man to assassinate me, it was too stupid to make such an appearance.

Barry didn't open her mouth to speak. I know that she's so eager to tell Marissa what has happened. But I made it clear to her that it's better that we're the only ones who know about that. 

We don't even know for sure if that man will never return. I was only trying to keep everyone else in this cell safe, especially Ate Marissa, who is too old to have to deal with this kind of stuff.

“Oh siya, kung hindi n’yo sasabihin sa akin ay naiintindihan ko pero siguraduhin n’yo ayos lang kayo huh.” 

“Opo,” sabay na sagot namin ni Barry. 

The three of us proceed to do our jobs. We now have the task of cleaning the hallway with Shin and her goons. 

Speaking of Shin, she hasn't touched me since I beat her ass that day, but based on her nature, she won't quit easily. She tries to offend me every day with her statements, but I choose to ignore her. 

“P*tangina, sobrang tanga!” She cursed at her minions, who had nearly tripher down with a mop. The woman instinctively lowered her head and again demanded an apology.

Shin was so upset at what had happened that she let go of her mop, but Barry's laugh got Shin to turn to look at us. 

My eyes grew wide as I noticed Barry give me a piece of advice. 

“Tinatawanan mo ako?” Shin retorted. Barry raises her left eyebrow while crossing her arms. The two exchanged a menacing glance.

“Gosh, Shin parang bata,” Barry remarked, which infuriated the woman even more.

“Alam mo una palang, hindi ko talaga gusto ang tabas ng dila mo.” 

“Same goes kung paanong hindi ko gusto ang tabas ng mukha mo. Pwe! Ang pangit!” 

I facepalmed myself hearing Barry's words. She really didn't know how to get away from fights. 

“Puta ka!” Shin yelled, frustrated. 

“Oh, really? Yan nanaman? Wala nabang bago?” 

“Aba nakakapikon kana ah!” Barry was about to be struck in the face by Shin, but she dodged the blow by moving her face. Officer Shang has moved into the hallway, blocking Shin's attempt to give another strike. 

I instantly put on a neutral expression and turned to face her.

“May dalaw ka,” she said, It caused my eyes to enlarge. I followed her out the door. 

My heart was racing as I made my way to the visitor area. I was happy to see my friends and check on them, but I also had a strange fear that they hated me for whatever I did, especially after I had ignored them for several months. 

However, my emotions worsened when I saw who was waiting for me at the visitor's area.

“Jilbert, what are you doing here? ” I asked. 

He stood up and looked at me.

“Isabella, I need to talk to you.” 

“What for?” may inis kong sambit.

“I know what you're doing, tigilan mo ‘yan.” 

I look at him in dismay. 

“Ganyan kaba ka walang pakialam sa akin?”

“Isabella, it's not like that. You are putting yourself in more trouble; stop it!”

“Ano bang alam mo? Hindi ba’t ikaw mismo ay hindi naniniwala na inosente ako? Anong pakialam mo sa kung anong gusto kong gawin ngayon?” 

“I'm just concerned here.”

“I don't need your concern.”

“Kelan ka ba titigil?!”

“When I already grasped the justice.” 

Frustrated na inihilamos nito ang dalawang palad sa kanyang mukha. 

“Hindi kaba nag iisip, Isabella? Gusto mo ba talagang mas lumala pa ang sitwasyon?”

“Teka, bakit ka ba ganyan mag-react? Ikaw? Matanong kita, why didn't you ask for autopsy results, even though there is one?” 

Jilbert paused and gave me a startled look. His mouth opened to say something, but I suppose he felt sorry enough to speak.

I laughed sarcastically.

“Now I'm beginning to think that you know something about what has happened to me.” 

“What? No, hindi, wala akong kilaman.” 

“Your stuttering, Jilbert. Don't lie.” 

I turned around and attempted to leave the room after I said that, but he talked once more.

“You don't know what you are putting yourself into, Isabella.” 

“Then tell me. Tell me how bad it would be, cousin,” I replied as I looked back at him. 

A disappointed smile appeared on my lips as I left the room.

***

later in the evening. I can't get Jilbert's involvement in my case out of my head. Carlo said something I know isn't true. He was the world's dumbest asshole, yet I can't help but wonder why Jilbert didn't bother to request the results of the autopsy. 

“Something in your head, Hija?” Ate Marissa asked. 
We're having dinner right now, and she might notice that I keep taking deep breaths.

"Last night, someone tried to kill Jam." 

After hearing what Barry had told her, Ate Marissa dropped her spoon. Barry leaned in closer to me and whispered as I stared at her in shock.

“She might help you, Jam. Sa dami ng problema mo hayaan mong tumulong ang may gusto.”

Mariin nalang akong napapikit dahil wala narin naman akong magagawa pa. 

On the TV mounted on the side wall, a TV show abruptly aired. A man in khaki pants with a white long sleeve tucked in beneath him is seated on a single white sofa. 

His face on television is so stunning that I can't help but be in shock. Despite his stiff appearance, his manliness makes the crowd giggle. When the host introduces him as the guest for this morning's show, he glances into the camera and gives a slight smile. 

“Mel Carter Heart, thank you for accepting our invitation as a guest for this segment.”

Carter simply waved to the audience members who were giggling in the background.

"It's encouraging to know that you're back on track, Mel. How's life been going for the past two years?"

“I've been without my personal privacy for such a long time. So I've genuinely appreciated it after two years of having it. You know, I travel wherever I like without escorting my bodyguards along. In the initial weeks, it's depressing to think that one has lost their profession, but I know I must persevere and finally find solace in the present time,” he responded.

I took a deep breath, but I didn't try to take my eyes off the screen. I tried to keep it from falling by biting my lips, even though my eyes began to become fuzzy.

“That's wonderful to hear. I am aware that, following what happened, many fans were concerned about you. However, we are pleased and relieved that you have just informed us that you consider that circumstance to be peaceful.”

“Thank you.”

“So, everyone here is looking forward to your confirmation, Mel. Is it true that you are back in competition again?” 

Carter made a long silence, leaving the host and the audience, including me, hanging. 

“Yes,” he confirmed. 

Everyone started yelling at once, and Carter grinned broadly. 

My heart is currently leaping into its place while simultaneously sharing a glimpse of relief, happiness, and melancholy. My lips did curve, however, it was an unpleasant sensation. Barry hurried over to offer me an embrace as tears started to fall down my cheeks. 

“I am so relieved that he's fine. That's all that matters,” I whispered. 

When my cries faded to whimpers, I hid my face on Barry's shoulder, but I slowly jumped back in terror when I heard a familiar voice coming from the television. 

“Jam, hija?” Ate Marissa called my name when she noticed how my expression was now replaced with fear. 

“Hey, Jam, what's wrong?” In an attempt to distract me, Jam uttered. But what I am currently seeing is beyond unbelievable to my eyes. 

An older man sat on Carter's side and waved to the crowd following his brief remarks. 

"Having both of you here on our stage is really amazing. I sincerely appreciate you guessing on our morning show, Mr. Heart. Please take a seat comfortably.

Mr. Heart and Carter had an uncanny resemblance, and it pains me to think that this man’s voice is the same as the unidentified man who paid me a visit in the hospital.