Chapter 7

"So you fell asleep in the cab that evening and woke up at Clifford's room the next morning? "

"Yes," I replied to Ara.

"Girl, what if-"

"Someone drugged you and made you fall asleep on purpose," Carter added. Napalunok ako.

"That night, I remember seeing a bottle of chloroform. It was empty. Kung tama kayo, then 'yong driver ang kailangan nating hanapin. He must be part of the plan," I said. Tumango ang dalawa at makabulohang tumitig sa akin.

"Wala kabang natatandaan bukod duon? Yung mukha nuong driver, nakita mo ba? "

Hinawakan ko ang sintido at mariing pumikit. Binalikan ko ang scenario sa loob ng taxi at isa-isang hinimay sa ala-ala ko ang lahat ng natamaan ng aking mata.

"Wait," I said. My eyes widened when I realized something.

"What is it? "Tanong agad ni Carter.

"Naalala ko may tattoo 'yong driver sa left neck niya."

"What kind of tattoo? "

"It's like a three-black butterfly."

"Well done, Jam. Let Miggy and Pow handle locating that man. Follow me for the time being. I have something I must show you."

Ara walked back to her room to get some rest, and I nodded and followed Carter right away. After we left the mansion, I noticed some firing apparatus and human-sized dummies in the rear.

"What are we doing here? "I asked even though I already knew the answer.

"You must develop your fighting skills," Carter stated.

"Being good at all times is not a requirement for restoring your innocence. Being able to defend oneself requires competence."

I crossed my arms, inhaled deeply, and said, "Carter, how in the world do you know about this place?"

Umigting ang panga niya at ibinaling sa malayo ang paningin.

"It has a motive, Jam, but I'd rather not share it with you."

"Why?" I murmured, a little let down.

"There are certain things we would prefer to keep private, particularly if they involve memories we would prefer to forget."

Kinagat ko ang labi at marahang tumango.

"I understand."

He smirked at me firmly and turned to face the table, bearing a different kind of gun.

"Learning to fire doesn't mean you have to kill," he said after putting some bullets into the revolver.

"There's a large number of targets in the human body that are useful but not lethal, just like this."