Chapter 9

“What do we have now? ”I asked both Miggy and Pow, who's still busy doing something on their gadgets

“The police have already landed on the island,” said Miggy.

“How's everyone? ”

“Everyone is fine; the police didn't make any mess. Lenard waited for them at the shore.”

“That's good to hear,” I said, taking a deep breath.

“Carter!”

Suddenly, Barry calls Carter, who is still managing the steering wheel.

“What?”

Pow got up to take his spot, and Carter came over to join us right away.

“You told us you were almost framed up; how? ” Barry added.

Carter's jaw tensed, and as he glanced at Barry, I could see the resentment in his eyes.

“My fellow swimmer, Alex, died the day after we broke up. The investigation concluded that after finding out about her pregnancy, I killed her.”

Suminghap si Ara at napatakip sa kaniyang bibig. Maging ako ay hindi maiwasang magulat sa nalaman.

“Ibig sabihin namatay din "yong baby, n’yo? ”Usisa ni Ara na agad namang ikina-iling ni Carter.

“No, I'm not the father; inamin niya rin sa’kin ‘yon that night. Yes, I was furious, but I never laid a finger on her. The next day, she died, and I was the prime suspect.”

I feel bad for what happened to him. It must be really hard to comprehend what has happened. The worst thing that can happen to a person is losing a loved one. Paano pa kaya kung ikaw din ang sisisihin sa pagkawala nito?

Carter is an athlete. He has a beautiful future ahead of him. Yet everything goes apart in the blink of an eye because of the things he didn't even do.

“How did Lenard help you? ”Barry asked once again.

“He was still a cop at that time. After several investigations, even though all the witnesses and evidence were pointing at me, he still managed to find the loophole. It turns out almost everything is fabricated. My fingerprints and even the cause of death is manipulated. Alex passed away due to a cerebral oxygen shortage, according to the autopsy, but on the report, she died due to stab wounds.”

“Like she drowned? But that's impossible because she's a swimmer unless... "

“Unless someone did it,” I completed Ara's sentences.

“It is precisely Lenard's theory. However, that is not this case's remaining question. How in the world could they have created fake evidence in just one night? Bukod sa totoong pumatay kay Alex, may iba pang tao ang nasa likod ng lahat ng ito.”