Chapter 6

I drank the tequila and asked the bartender for more right away

I drank the tequila and asked the bartender for more right away. I know that in a short while I won't be sober at all, especially that I'm currently a more than tipsy. 

“Jam." 

Agad kong nilunok ang alak sa bibig ko at hindi makapaniwalang tinitigan si Clifford.

“Oh god! Kailan ka pa umuwi? Why didn't you tell me, nasundo man lang sana kita sa airport,”I stated. He glanced at me, kissed my cheek, and then gave me a bashful smile. 

“Kauuwi ko lang, I just came here to talk to you," he stated earnestly. I swallowed and gave him a blank stare. 

“Could we put that away for later? Let's enjoy ourselves now," I said, dragging him into the center of the dance floor. 

“Clifford, hurry up; I have no positive news to share with you. But since it's been a while, let me at least make this evening enjoyable.” 

Clifford nods slowly and gives a charming smile. 

“Jam, three months have passed. You were missed.”

“I know right,” 

I gave him a big smile and swayed my hips to the beat of the music as I wrapped my arms around his neck. He initially laughed at everything I did, but he eventually danced with me. 

I sense three males slowly encircling me while I dance. I swallowed and turned to look at Clifford, who was now engrossed in the music and not at me. 

However, I spun around and gave the man behind me a slap when I felt his hand caressing my butt. The man sent me a glaring glare, while the other two giggled. 

"Oh, woman, you're dead." The man on my left said.

"Don't you dare touch me,” sa halip ay sambit ko Nguni tumawang muli ang tatlo. 

“Woman, come on. We were aware of your playful nature. Ano? ‘di mo ba kami type? ” 

“Fuck off! ”I told them. However, the man on the right grabbed my waist and dragged me off the dance floor before I could object. 

Clifford ultimately saw that and came after us, grabbing me to keep me away from them. 

“What's your problem, dude? ”sambit ng tatlo. 

“Stay away from her, kung ayaw n’yong tumawag ako ng mga bouncer.” pumugalhak ng tawa ang tatlo dahil duon. 

“Who are you to do that? ” 

“Try guessing.” 

“Tsk! Pwede ba? Huwag mo kaming pakialaman. Don't protect that slutty woman as though she's still a goddamn virgin.”

Tumiim ang bagang ni Clifford at dinukot ang cellphone sa bulsa. When on the phone, he never takes his eyes off the three. Shortly afterward, three men were dragged outside the bar by a group of individuals dressed in black. Mariin akong pumikit. 

“Thanks, Clifford,” I said. 

"It's nothing, ayos kalang ba? Hindi kaba nasaktan ng mga gagong ‘yon.” 

“I'm fine; don't worry about me; sanay narin ako.” 

Bumuntong hininga siya at mariing kinagat ang labi.

“I think we should go home.” Tumango ako bilang pagsang-ayon at magkasama naming nilisan ang bar. We decided to spend the night at his condo, drinking some wine. 

“So, ano ngang sasabihin mo? ” 

Natigilan siya at tiim bagang na tumingin sa akin.

“Jam, I know that I've promised to get you a job and to support you through this life, but—"

"But what? Clifford, no worries. Hindi mo naman tungkulin na tulungan ako. It's more than I could ask for that you are attempting to help me. It only indicates that you are, in fact, my friend, and I already feel grateful for that.”

"I am aware of that, but my parents took away everything I owned, even money, when they discovered the truth about me. Right now, I am nothing. I don't know when I'll be able to leave this condo. Just this—”

“I'm really sorry, Clifford. How difficult must it be for you? But don't worry; I'm always here, and together, we can overcome this. I will not leave you.”

He had a lot of emotions on his face as he stared at me. 

“What? May sasabihin ka pa ba? May problema ka pa ba? ” 

Tumayo siya at frustrated na inihilamos ang dalawang palad sa mukha. Namumula ang ilong at leeg nito na tila dulot ng nagbabadyang luha. 

“Jam, I feel so bad right now."

"Why?"

"You're so kind to me, not knowing that I did something horrible to you.” Nangunot ang nuo ko. 

“Huh? What are you talking about? ” 

“Jam—” huminga ito ng malalim at tiim bagang na tumingin sa akin.

“Ako ang gumipit sa pamilya mo.” 

“W-what? Hindi kita maintindihan Clifford,” nagugulohang sambit ko 

“I'm sorry.” 

Tumayo ako ng mag-umpisang pumatak ang luha niya.

“Clifford ano bang sinasabi mo? We've been friends for years now. Please, please, no," I murmured, practically pleading with him to stop uttering stuff I couldn't understand.

"Jam, I apologize. When I found out about your mom's relationship with my dad, I was furious with her. I did it for that reason.” 

“Ano? No! Ano bang pinagsasabi mo? You first claimed to be the one who caused my parents' debt, and now you're calling my mother a mistress of your dad? That's absurd, Clifford! ”

“I’m sorry. That's the reason I became acquainted with you after hearing about the passing of your parents. I regret so much that you now have to bear the entire load that I placed on your parents. Sinikap kong tulungan kita sa paraang alam ko para maka bawi sayo. However, I suppose it's insufficient to explain what I did. I regret it so much.” 

“Clifford, all these years, niluluko mo lang pala ako? ”

“No, it's not like that. I'm your friend.”

“Friend? Paano!? How am I supposed to believe that after learning that you're the one who caused my parents' business to go down? Ikaw ang dahilan kung bakit nagkakanda letshe-letche ang buhay ko ngayon! Bullsh*t Clifford! Hindi ako nakapag tapos ng pag-aaral dahil kinailangan kong maging ganito para mabayaran ko ang utang na’yan. P*tangina! Bakit kailangan mo akong paniwalain na kaibigan kita? ” 

Umiiyak na umiling ito.

“Jam, please,” giit niya.

“Hindi, Clifford. Dahil kung kaibigan mo talaga ako, matagal mo na sanang binawi ang ginawa mo sa’min. However, you didn't! It implies that you had pleasure in witnessing my agony!”

“Hindi ‘yan totoo. I tried to do it, but my mother was aware of what I did at siya naman ang gumigipit sa’kin, sayo.” 

“Totoo man ‘yan o hindi, it doesn't change the fact that you fooled me; at hinding, hindi kita mapapatawad dahil d’yan,” I said before grabbing my bag and leaving him there. 

I left his condo, crying. I was so upset that I couldn't hold back my tears until I reached the highway. Saktong may humintong taxi sa tapat ko, kaya’t agad akong sumakay. 

Without asking me where I was going, the taxi drove. When I realized the automobile was traveling the wrong way, I wiped away my tears. 

“Manong, hindi po ako dito, sa kabilang kalsada po ako,” I said, but my head started spinning. Nilabanan ko ang pagsarado ng aking mata ngunit sumasakit narin ang aking sintido. 

Before I closed my eyes, I saw a bottle of chloroform lying on the car floor and... something with a black ink hue that was scalped at the driver's nape.