Chapter 5- Joining a Band (2020)

Julie and I headed over to her house after school. I could feel myself getting tired, so I wasn't sure how long I could stay, but I needed to talk to the  guys.  

"I have no clue where she could be, we've checked all of her favorite spots." I shrugged as a response, not knowing what to say. We arrived at her house, and I instantly loved it. It was cute and sort of cottage like, with lots of greenery around it. I followed Julie back behind the house, and down a few stairs to where there was a patio area with a basketball hoop and a large shed. She opened the door, revealing an open space. In the back there was a huge window with plants in front of it. There was also a baby grand, with a couch sitting on the side of the room. I walked over to where a drum set is, set up alongside some guitars and amps. I didn't notice the two ghosts who were sitting in the loft above me.

"I'm guessing these are the boy's instruments?" Julie's eye's flicked upwards, but I didn't notice.  I ran my fingers over the strings of one of the guitars.

"I wouldn't touch that If I were you, Luke doesn't like it when people touch his stuff." I roll my eyes. 

"What's he going to do, kill me?" I laugh a little. Not like that was going to happen. Can't die when you're dead.

"I just might."  I bite my lip as Luke jumped down in front of me. I looked back towards his guitar, hiding my shocked expression. I heard Julie giggle a little. 

"Heads up, the boys are here, so I would be careful." I roll my eyes and pick up the electric guitar carefully, making sure that I didn't actually damage it.

"He doesn't mind, does he?" I wink towards his general direction, earning a shocked expression from him. Reggie laughed next to him. Julie looked towards him expectantly, but shrugged when she didn't get an answer. 

"I have to go tell my dad that I'm home, I'll be right back." I nod in response, putting the guitar back in its place. I bit my lip and looked around. I wasn't sure what to say, it's not like we could hold a conversation, at least without breaking my little charade. 

"Mind if we play something?" Luke had walked towards me. I looked around looking for him, as I watched him and Reggie walk up beside me, plugging in their guitars. I give a strange look towards them, before walking over to the couch and sitting. 

"Going to put on a show for me boys?" 

"How did she?" Reggie looked over to me confused, pointing from me to him.

"Probably saw the cords and guitars move." Luke shrugged, obviously not caring about it. I let out a sigh, cursing myself. I had to make sure I didn't do little slip ups like that, which was going to be hard. It was obvious that these boys would do stupid things, or crack bad jokes, and I had to pretend I couldn't hear or see any of it. 

The boys started strumming quietly, talking over their music about the song. I started to look towards them, feeling like it was safe that I could see and hear them. 

"What song is that?" I stood up and took a few steps closer. Luke looked up startled, making eye contact with me for a second. Reggie glanced between us, still strumming.

"Wait, you can hear and see us?" He asked. Luke had looked away, but was still strumming. 

"I guess I can when you guys play." Luke looked back over to me confused.

"That doesn't add up." a shot of panic rushed through me. I couldn't have messed up this early, could I?

"What do you mean?" I bit my lower lip, looking between the two boys.

"The three of us played at the beach, without Julie, and no one could see us. I mean they could hear us, but they couldn't see us. The only time alive people saw us was win we played with Julie at the school." Luke explained, looking at me. I caught a suspicious glint in his eye, causing me to look down.