𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘

𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 | Healing

{ Azriel }

Warm fingers carding through my hair was one of the best things that I had woken up to in a long time. The ache in my chest burnt, but my mate's smaller body curled up beside mine partly remedied the pain.

"How are you feeling?" Maiya's voice was soft and warm, telling me that she hadn't slept whilst at my side. Looking down at her, I rubbed my thumb along the bags beneath her violet eyes, pressing a kiss to her head. The scent of lilies surrounded me, as I hummed and pulled her closer into my chest.

"All the more better with you here, though I would have preferred to know that you'd slept." She shook her head, pressing a kiss to the tattoos on my neck, before extracting herself from my arms. I began to protest, having noticed the dawn light and realised what she was doing. "Maiya, darling, please. You can stay a little longer."

"I'll be back but Morrigan and Rhysand will want to visit you. They don't want me here." Maiya began to pull her armour back on, doing the buckles up quietly. A pout formed on my face, pushing myself upright to watch her. "I'm going to go and visit your mother, tell her what has happened and see if she wishes to come and see you."

"Hopefully she will. I am her only son." I muttered, before narrowing my eyes. "Can you not stay a little longer? They'll all be recovering."

"Firoh's just given me a warning that Rhysand is up and thus will want to come and speak with you as soon as possible." Maiya smiled, the warm one she reserved for me. It still made my heart beat faster, even after being married to the beautiful woman in front of me for near to 500 years. "Play nice and don't miss me too much."

"That's hardly possible." She leant down, pressing a longer kiss to my lips as I cradled her head in my hands. She tried to pull away, but I dragged her back in for another kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too." Maiya sent me one last grin before disappearing, leaving behind the scent of lilies and the longing to have her back in my arms once more. I did not want her to leave.

But Maiya hadn't been wrong. Shortly after she left, there was a knock on my door and it was thrown open to reveal Mor and Rhysand, both looking worried. Neither of them seemed to have slept that well, in plain clothes with messy hair.

"Azriel, oh thank the Mother that you're alright." Mor rushed to my side, crouching down and beginning to look at my wound though I batted her hands away. If Maiya had been with me, then it would have been fine. She was pretty decent at healing runes. "I thought she would do something."

"Who?"

"Maiya." I turned to shoot Rhysand a look. I didn't truly understand. Why would they think that Maiya had done something to me?