𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 | The Sisters

I was bored. That was the simplest way to say it.

With Azriel still healing, Cassian off in the war camps to the North and Rhysand busy doing High Lord things like finance and such, I had nothing to do. There was always the opportunity to go back to Hewn, but when I had suggested the idea to Firoh, he had all but banned me from going home, claiming that I needed time in the fresh air.

Thus, I had found a library, and was now hunched in a corner, making plans for strategies to use in the upcoming war, hoping that my brain would keep ticking over.

"She's in here." I paused, turning at the call as I came face to face with Carasai. The golden eyed healer was rolling her eyes as she leant in the doorway. "Maiya, I've been looking for you."

"I thought you were in meetings."

"I escaped." Carasai pushed herself off the door, before looking over her shoulder and motioning for someone to follow. "She doesn't bite, I promise."

"Oh, I do." I corrected. "But only when I'm fighting."

"Please, do not terrify her anymore than she already is." Carasai pointed a warning finger my way as I sank back into my seat, watching the door. One of the drowned girls peered around the corner, her eyes wide as she saw me. The girl froze, dressed in a loose top and trousers, her hands trembling behind her back. "Aimee, this is Maiya, Rhysand's older sister. Maiya, this is Aimee."

"Which sister is she?" I questioned, pulling my legs further beneath me.

"The middle one." Aimee muttered, her voice quiet as she trembled.

"Are you scared?"

"Maiya." Carasai's tone was warning as she searched for more chairs. "Play nice. She was a human until a month ago. She is still trying to outlearn the fear that her kind had for us."

"Yes, but she's not a human anymore, she's a Fae."

"Precisely why she is trying to unlearn it." Carasai sighed. "Aimee has developed an interesting power."

"Really?" I continued to watch the girl, who was shuffling from foot to foot, still trembling under my stare. "What would that be?"

"It-"

"She can tell me." I cut Carasai off. "She has a mouth and a tongue, she can speak."

The room fell quiet, bar the crackling of the fire as I waited for Aimee to tell me what had happened. The girl was still trembling as she took another step into the room, and I supposed that Carasai and I were unfortunately intimidating. The golden-eyed healer radiated power, whilst I had a reputation that preceded me in a rather unfortunate way.

"I-" She glanced at Carasai, before looking back at me. "Runes."

I paused, before sitting further upright.