𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄

𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄 | Marriage

trigger warnings : this chapter contains abuse, large amounts of violence, inference to rape and misogyny

As soon as I sat down, I tightened the walls in my mind, before reaching out to Azriel through the mating bond.

Don't come back. I warned, watching the room cautiously.

Maiya... Azriel sounded panicked, but I tried to push my calmness down the bond.

Stay with Rhysand. Whatever happens, do not come back to court. I warned once more, before blocking the mating bond and watching my father with cold eyes. "What is this about?"

I caught my mother's eye, seeing the guilty look inside of them as she turned away. My own eyes narrowed, turning back to my father. His eyes were wild with madness, glaring at me like I was a speck of dust on the floor.

"You lied to me." He stated, voice hushed.

"What?"

"Don't play dumb with me, girl!" I was on my feet in an instance at the shout, hand reaching for a dagger as I watched him. "You and the Illyrian bastard?"

"I don't know what you're speaking of."

"Do you think that I'm stupid, child? Or that I wouldn't know what was going on in my own court." My father was also standing. "First, your cousin goes and sleeps with one of Rhysand's friends, now I find that you've whored yourself out to one as well."

"Excuse me?" My temper grew, anger igniting inside me. "How dare you insinuate that?"

"As far as I know, you've been sleeping around since I sent you to the Hewn City." He thundered, as I shook my head. 

"Don't you dare undermine my position." I pointed at him. "I worked hard to get to where I am in Hewn. I never slept around, I never took bribes and I never blackmailed. I got that position on my own!"

"Well now, that position is going to Mendax."

"What?"

"All of your duties will now be Mendax's-"

"You can't!" I protested.

"-and everything you know you need to tell him."

"That's not how it works."

"Well, it is now." My father glared at me. "You should be lucky that I am not treating you as Keir treated Morrigan. You should be lucky that Mendax is willing to take spoiled goods so go and thank him."

"I'd rather die than give that pathetic excuse of a man any of my power." I spat, glaring at Mendax. "I will not marry him and I will certainly never let him into bed with me."