𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | Unspeakable

{ Azriel }

The failure in getting the human queens on our side stung. It clawed at my heart, regret sweeping through me as I thought about what I do to help my High Lord and get them back on our side.

Feyre had not been enough. They wanted proof of our good intentions, of our trust, which was something horrifically difficult to do. I twisted a ring around my finger, before giving a gentle tug on my own mate bond, trying to work out whether or not my mate was awake.

There was a pause, before a tug came back along with a wave of calm and love, that gave me a brief moment of peace before, what I knew would be, a challenging meeting.

Rhysand had disappeared outside as soon as we came home, leaving the rest of us to cock our eyebrows and watch him with narrowed eyes.

"It went well, I take it." Amren cocked an eyebrow, her arms folded across her chest as Cassian shot her a look and trailed after Rhysand. I followed after him, taking a seat on the iron chair and arranging my wings carefully.

My thoughts, as they normally did, drifted to Maiya and what she was doing. Over the past five hundred years, I had been back and forth between the Hewn City and Velaris as much as I could, until, fifty years ago, when I had been trapped in Velaris. Maiya hadn't known where I was, if I was alive, and I hadn't been able to tell her for fear of bringing the protection around Velaris down.

My heart had near enough broken when I heard her calling for me down the bond, screaming for me, but I wasn't allowed to respond. After Rhysand had returned, I'd rushed to Maiya's side and stayed with her for three days, only responding to Rhysand when he threatened to come and find me. I had yet to tell him of the mating bond between me and his sister, as they were still in an argument over multiple different things.

"If you're out here to brood, Rhys," Amren said from her perch on a little bench, looking unamused, "then just say so and let me go back to my work."

I huffed, my shadows curling around me as I twisted one of my rings around my finger, thinking of what we could do. Maiya's presence was in the back of my mind, as I let her rifle through what had happened when we went to visit Feyre's sisters.

I didn't have many ideas, as most were impossible for us to complete.

"The humans wish for proof of our good intentions. That we can be trusted." Rhysand revealed, his violet eyes dark with annoyance.

"Feyre was not enough?" The girl's head snapped up at those words, but Rhysand merely shook his head and continued on talking.

"She is more than enough," Rhysand said with that deadly calm. "They're fools. Worse—frightened fools." He studied the ground again, as if the dried moss and stone made up some pattern no one but him could see.