𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 | The Darkbringers

"You're late." Keir was waiting at the gates of the Hewn City, a dark glare on his face as I snorted.

"I am perfectly on time." I shot him a glare, drumming my fingers along the hilt of my sword. Azriel walked behind me slowly, a scowl on his face. His siphons were glowing, casting a protective shield around us.

"You brought the Illyrian scum?"

"I brought my father's Shadow Singer. Are we talking of the same person?" I asked, causing Keir to scowl. I enjoyed being back here, where I could get away with more of my barbed insults that I could upstairs. "I'm just here to check on progress."

"All is fine."

"Good but I never said that I would be asking you about the progress." I smiled, before rolling my eyes as a shadow curled around my pinky finger. "Get me all the strategies that I left here."

"Now?"

"No, next year. Yes, now." I shooed him off as Keir spat to the side and stormed away. I watched him go, before turning to Azriel with a smile. "I promise I won't leave you alone this time."

"Running off of me last time was mean."

"It was slightly amusing."

"For who?"

"Me." I grinned at him as Azriel rolled his eyes, and shot me a warm look. "Keir is in a bad mood today."

"I thought he just didn't like you."

"Oh, he doesn't." I nodded my head. "But normally he's a little less angry when I'm here. He knows that I will remove fingers if he gets too much on my nerves."

I chuckled at that, leading Azriel through the streets and down to the training grounds. They were in the lower level of the city, and you could already here the sound of the Darkbringers practicing.

"So if I look for those without fingers, I will know that they angered you?" Azriel asked as we passed the barracks. I nodded my head. "Why do you remove their fingers?"

"If they cannot fight, they are of little use. The more fingers they lose, the harder it is to fight and the lower their social status falls. No son of one of the lords in Hewn wants that." I smirked. "So, I hold all the power."

"What do you take their fingers for?" Azriel asked, curiosity in his eyes.

"Rape, abuse, harassing and assaulting children though sometimes I'll just cut their balls off when that happens." I scratched my head, trying to think of more reasons, but finding that the list was too long. "It's a long list. They have to be very careful when I'm around."