CHAPTER 15

Level 3 hadn't been easy for Saleem with the fact that he had started working. He was going through a difficult time combining his work at Bitmas bakery and his academics.

They went on another field trip at the end of the first semester to Ranno, a new site in Kano state.

Ranno was a new site, unlike Radda which has been frequented for 3 consecutive years by the department. This made it difficult for the students to compile their works on the historical background of the studied site.

Some of the students went to the lecturers to ask for help but Saleem was bent on figuring out a way to do it without anyone's help. Though, he wasn't willing to take risks because the field report makes up 60percent of their assessment.

Saleem reviewed the format of previous sites based on their historical and geographical background to gain an insight on how to go about compiling his work. They were given a deadline and it was fast approaching.

Saleem came out of Arcy 306 class looking very angry. They just had an unexpected test which he wasn't prepared for. This was unlike him because he always made sure to read before every class. He was a principled person who doesn't depend on others during C. A test and examinations. He considers speaking and asking questions from a colleague during an exam as unethical. This is why he has made it a principle to be on his own even if he doesn't know anything and that has made him independent.

He was about to go to his hostel, Danfodio hall when he remembered he promised to return a novel to a female friend who was in Amina Hall. He debated on what to do because he was so desperate to go to his hostel to lay his head, maybe that would cool off his frustration.

He changed his mind about going to Amina Hall and headed to his hostel.

On his way, he met Sophie who engaged him in a discussion about the test. Sophie told him she knew something of such nature would happen from the way the lecturer was speaking the day before. Saleem was pouring out his frustration when he heard his name.

He looked back and was surprised to see who it was. He quickly bade Sophie goodbye and promised to call her later.

"Salamat, is this you?", Saleem asked.

"No, it's my shadow", Salamat said smiling.

"I can't believe this is you. Where have you been?"

"I have been around. What are you doing here looking so beaten", she asked.

"I should be asking you what you are doing here. Don't mind me jare, we just had an unexpected test that I wasn't prepared for", he explained.

"Uh oh! That's very bad. Let's find somewhere to sit."

"Don't mind my manners, let's go to our department."

By the time they got to the garden, Saleem had gotten rid of his frustration. He was very happy to finally see Salamat after a year.

"I searched the whole of Radda for you. Are you schooling here too?", he asked her as he sat on a bench.

"Really? I guess not the whole of Radda but part of Radda because if it was the whole of Radda, you would have found me. I am schooling here o."

"You have no idea the trouble I went through looking for you."

"If I may ask, why were you looking for me?"

"To apologize for what I said the other day. I felt I hurt you with my words. I didn't mean to hurt you, I only said those things to make you realize that life is worth living and not worth giving upon. I am deeply sorry, please forgive me", he said, looking sullen while Samalat smiled.

"Mr philosopher, don't feel sorry because your words touched a part of me. It was helpful and it has helped shaped my life. I even regretted the fact that I was avoiding you because afterward, I felt it was necessary to thank you. I went looking for you in your camp but the gateman told me you guys left a day before. So, therefore, I am using this great opportunity to thank you. You have no idea how glad I am to see you."

"Me too", Saleem said, grinning.

"You didn't tell me you are schooling here in A.B.U", Salamat noted.

"Oh, I didn't? I thought I did", he said.

"No, you didn't."

"You said that already Miss", Saleem said, laughing.

"Oh, did I? I thought I didn't", Salamat said, with a mischievous smile.

"Hey, don't be funny and stop being sarcastic", he said, still laughing. "What level are you?"

"I am a jambito o..."

"Advanced jambito, point of correction because you will soon be in 200 level. Initially, I thought you got admission through direct entry."

"Whether jambito or advanced jambito, the word jambito is still there", Salamat pointed out.

"Yes, that's true. So are you a medical student?", he demanded

"Do I look like one?", Salamat requested in reply.

"Yes", he replied.

"How?"

"Medical students are always smart looking", he asserted, winking at her and they both laughed.

"Don't be naughty", she said getting up. I need to go now, I have a test and an assignment to submit tomorrow morning so I need to go and prepare."

"Why na... we have a lot of catching up to do", Saleem asmbled, with a babyface.

"Sorry, maybe we can meet some other time", she told him.

"Alright, can I have your digits then?", he asked with doubt but was surprised at her reply.

"Of course, why not? 0...7...0...3...2...3...2...6...4...3...3", she told him while he input the number into his phone.

"Mine is 0...9...0...7...8...5...6...8...3...8...3. I will give you a call later. I want to go and pray now", he said.

"Alright, don't forget to pray for me", She told him.

"Of course, I won't. Take care dear."

They bade each other goodbye and Saleem went to the hostel after praying with a smile on his face.

********
Fate is at work.

I have fulfilled my promise of updating two chapters today.

Appreciate me by voting and commenting💓