CHAPTER 20

Saleem was battling with his project work and couldn't share more time with Salamat.

Salamat on the other hand was having hard times with some courses and being in 200 level, her present roommates were not helping like her former roommates. Salamat missed her former roommates so much, especially Ibukun.

Saleem was trying to compile his field report in his departmental garden when he felt a tap from behind.

Thinking it was Salamat, he smiled and did not bother to look up. "Small head, I don't have time for jokes this afternoon, better come and sit so you can help me", he said.

"Loverboy, who is the small head?", said a voice that sounds familiar to him.

He snapped his head up and saw Bimpe standing with hands akimbo with her usual mischievous smile.

"Hey, how are you doing?", he said, trying to sound polite. He couldn't remember her name and was ashamed of asking.

"I am not fine, since you can't ask for my digit from Wumi to call me. That's very bad of you", Bimpe pouted.

"I am sorry, it's just that I have been so busy with field reports and project work. You know I am working and it's stressful compiling work with academics."

"Wao! You must be a genius", Bimpe said, with her fake smile.

"My dear, not really o, I am trying my best kawai", he replied.

"Are you a Hausa boy?", she asked.

"Not really, why did you ask?"

"I just want to be sure. Do you know I like you?", she said to him, shamelessly.

"Really? That's nice, thanks", he said led, trying to go back to his work.

"Can I ask a question?", she asked.

"Yes, sure", he responded, looking up.

"What is your relationship with Salamat?", she questioned, with a look of disdain.

"What do you think?", he asked, with sarcasm.

"Well, I just want to give you advice concerning that girl. In case you two are dating, it's very bad for you because you have no idea who she is."

"Really?", Saleem asked, smiling.

"Yes, of course, let me tell you a short story about her. Salamat and I used to be friends, though not that close. She was a snub, she was arrogant and too proud. She later dated one boy by the name of Habib who was heading over heels in love with her. But what did Salamat do to the poor boy? She was always hurting him and she ended up toying with his feelings by dumping him", she said, looking at him but his face was expressionless and she continued.

"It turned out that the almighty Salamat was after all not a virgin and then from what I could gather from Habib's sister, she said she was wayward and was always going out with men old enough to be her father. I think that resulted in a fight between her and Habib and she left Ogun out of shame without even informing the poor Habib. We never knew that her way of dressing was just to deceive people, that girl is a big-time hypocrite. She doesn't have a heart and I know so well that she will end up dumping you too as she did to others. After all, you have nothing to offer her", she said, eyeing him.

Thinking her words will affect Saleem, she looked at him intensely but found out that Saleem was expressionless.

When she was done, Saleem smiled, and said, "Are you done with your story?"

Bimpe was dumbfounded. Then, she gasped and said, "Oh boy don't tell me you don't believe me?"

"I believe you", he said, still smiling and this made Bimpe confused.