CHAPTER 46

Tuesday 10:00 am

"Good morning sir", the detective saluted the D.P.O, immediately he entered the office.

"Morning Bode", the D.P.O lifted his head. "I had to rush out yesterday for something important."

"Yes sir. I thought as much sir."

"Sit, please. How about those who went for investigation yesterday?"

"That's why I am here sir. The autopsy result is out", Bode explained and stretched an envelope towards the D.P.O as he sat down.

"What's the result?" The D.P.O questioned as he took the envelope from him.

"Three things were uncovered. First, the fact that he was stabbed aggressively in the neck and the stomach. Secondly, he had sex before he was killed. There was evidence of sticky semen attached to his shorts and on his groin. And lastly, he died two nights ago", he analyzed.

"Hmm", the D.P.O sighed. "He died two nights ago? That means he died a night before his sister found out that he was dead?"

"Yes."

"And he had sex before he was killed?"

"Yes, sir."

"And it looks like he was in a fight since the stab was aggressive."

"Yes, sir", Bode agreed.

"Brilliant. Let's assume a whole picture of how it happened then", he smiled at Bode.

He knew Bode was very smart and this was a routine between them. That was what their profession was all about. Picking up pieces of evidence that will give a whole picture of an event.

But the truth was, there is always a twist in every one of the stories and it requires a rare genius to discover and figure out the truth, without turning a blind eye to any evidence they can gather.

"He had sex with a girl and then she asked him for money but he wouldn't give her. She knew he has the money and was not willing to let go of it. Then he attempted to have sex with her again, against her will. She tried to get out of his hold but he was stronger and her eyes fell on the nearest weapon, the knife which they used in slicing the orange they took after dinner. She took a hold of it and stabbed him twice in the neck and the stomach. Then, she fled", Bode implied.

"Good", the D.P.O commended. "But your assumptions have some obvious flaws. Your pictured girl is poor and she fled but we met Salamat at the crime scene. Salamat is from a well-to-do family and wouldn't do that for money."

The D.P.O continued, "So let's do it this way. She visited him and they chatted throughout the day. Then, she discovered it was late and she decided to spend the night with him, thinking he was a gentleman. When she was asleep, he took advantage of her over and over again as she cried. Then, she stabbed him. Or he was aroused again and wanted to take her when she got a hold of the knife and stabbed him once. He fell to her side and she quickly knelt beside him as he groaned in pain. She stabbed him again in the neck and was about to drop the knife thinking she had succeeded when she noticed he was still breathing. Then she took a hold of the knife once again and stabbed him on the stomach."

Bode nodded.

The D.P.O concluded. "So that leaves us with who as the prime suspect?" He asked.

"Salamat is the prime suspect", Bode replied.

*****

Wednesday 12:00 pm

"Salamat", Bode called as she was ushered into the questioning room.

"Sit", he ordered and she sat calmly.

"Can you tell me what happened and why you killed Ayoade?" He asked her but it was obvious she wasn't ready to voice out her thoughts.

'Your stubbornness will lead you nowhere, he thought to himself.

"I want to help you", he told her but she was quiet.

"Salamat", he called again. "Do you know why I am interested in your case? Because you look like my daughter and her name is Omowumi, just like you", he smiled as the statement got her attention.

She sagged her shoulders and sighed.

Then she looked up at him squarely. "I used to hold policemen in high esteem, not until the day I got arrested."

The man was baffled. "Why do you say that if I may ask?" He asked, but Salamat remained silent.

"Salamat, you need to talk so you can help yourself. At this moment, your fate is in your hands."

"You are accusing me wrongly. I see no reason why I should answer when you all have jumped to the conclusion already....." She retorted, with a raised voice.

"I know....", he interrupted

"You asked me to say something and that's what I am doing", she interrupted him too.

Bode was silent as he stared at her. She looked calm. He nodded his head at her to continue.

"If I was truly the one who killed him, I would have fled even before Bimpe got there. Why would I even kill Ayoade? He didn't do anything wrong to me."

"Would you have killed him if he did something wrong to you?" Bode demanded.

"Why are you taking up every word I say? Would you prefer I say nothing?" Salamat was furious.

"Saying nothing will only land you in prison," he announced.

Salamat tried to calm her nerves as she stared at him in dislike. She knew he was saying the truth but she couldn't help but despise every one of them.

"Salamat, what were you doing at Ayoade and Bimpe's apartment on the day you were arrested?" He interrogated.

Salamat resigned to fate and she willingly responded. "I was supposed to go to Shika on Sunday morning but I got a call from Ayoade on Saturday at noon. He asked me to accompany him to Raliat's house."

"Who is Raliat?"

"His fiancee", she replied and continued. " His to-be father-in-law wanted to see him and Ayoade wanted to use the opportunity to ask for her hand in marriage for a reason best known to him."

"For a reason best known to him", he repeated and jotted it down.

"Continue dear", he encouraged.

"We left there around 3 p.m and Raliat even escorted us to the bus stop where we took a bus to Emanto junction. Ayoade saw me off to our gate before we bade each other goodbye. I decided to postpone my going to Shika till the next day. I woke up to the beep of my phone. It was a message from Ayoade I supposed and he said he needed to see me urgently and that there was something he wanted to talk to me about. I left home that morning with my bag. I even had to lie to my parents that I was going to school. Whereas, I wanted to go to his place first before going to Shika."

"Why did you lie to your parent?" Bode questioned.

"Ayoade's father and my dad are not on good terms" She replied.

"What transpired between them?" He asked again.

"I don't know", she answered back.

"Can I see your phone to confirm the message?"

"I left the phone in the apartment."

"Which apartment?"

"Ayoade's. The policemen handcuffed me without allowing me to take anything."

He watched her as she stared back at him. "Who then do you think is responsible for the death of Ayoade?"

"I really can't say", she sighed, relaxing her back on the chair, signifying she was done talking.

*********