CHAPTER 30

"Mai Gida, sannu de zuwa (My husband, welcome)", Raliat's mother greeted her husband.

"Nagode (thanks)", he replied, handing over the briefcase to his wife, as he ventured into the room. He was oblivious to the grimace on his wife's face which was unusual. She was always with a smile whenever she welcomes him back from work and Mr. Usman was too tired to have noticed.

He peeled off his shoes, followed by his tie, and gently removed his shirt and trousers before entering the bathroom to take a bath. That was the routine. He was to take his bath and pray before going to the dining area to eat dinner.

Mrs. Usman was murmuring to herself when he came out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist and water dripping from his soft silky hair.

"Khadija, why are you talking to yourself? What is the matter?" He asked, noticing the absence of her smile, for the first time.

"You won't believe what that silly girl of yours told me a few hours ago" the angry woman responded sharply.

"Raliat?" Mr. Usman inquired.

He knew it was Raliat but wanted to confirm his suspicion. Raliat and her mother don't get along well. They were always on each other's throats and always love to play cat and rat around the house. Raliat was stubborn while her mother was jealous of the fact that she was the apple of her husband's eyes.

Everyone member of the house was aware of that fact, even kaka, Raliat's paternal grandmother. Mrs. Usman does all she could to say it to the hearing of her husband all the time.

Mr. Usman didn't know how best to share his unconditional love between the two women. He loved his wife dearly but Raliat was his gold. Whenever his wife complains, all he does was to smile.

He had tried on several occasions to make things clear to his wife and also to pacify her by buying her gifts anytime she complains, but it was apparent that the young woman wasn't ready to share her husband's love with anyone, not even her only daughter.

"Yes. She said she wants to get married."

"But that isn't silly. I told her to come home with a man once she gets a marriage proposal", Mr. Usman replied.

"When she is just in her 300 level? What sort of encouragement is that?" She demanded with a high-pitched voice and an angry look.

"My dear, at least it is better than indulging in Zina (fornication). Let's do this for God's sake", Mr. Usman uttered, putting on his jalabia.

"Raliat is still young to be married. Gaskiya (To be honest), I am not in support" she said folding her arms around her bosom and looking away.

"How old were you when you got married?" Mr. Usman questioned her, all of a sudden.

The question caught her off-guard and she stammered for a while before saying, "Gone are those days, my husband. At age 20, I already knew how to do every of our house chores without being told. Raliat is 22 and she still does not know how to make tuwo, all she knows how to do is to cook silly things like noodles, spaghetti, and baking cakes. That is not what it takes to keep a man."

"Raliat is not too young. Besides, you didn't make it a duty to see to it that she is good in the kitchen."

"How do you expect me to do that when you are responsible. You always provide excuses for her not to be in the kitchen with me. Truth be told, Raliat is a spoilt brat."

He chuckled. "She will learn if only you are willing to use the energy you are exerting right now to start the teachings."

"Is that all you would say?"