CHAPTER 21

Bimpe fumed all the way to her apartment, off-campus.

"Why are men so foolish and insensible?" She asked no one in particular as she slumps onto the bed in her one-room self-contained apartment.

After her decision of staying far away from her brother, she went ahead to change her institution to Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. It was against her parent's wishes. They were against it because of the distance. She was able to convince them to let her go since her uncle resides in Zaria too. She made them believe she would be staying with her uncle till she graduates.

But when she got to Zaria, she did all she could to convince her uncle to secure an apartment for her. She used the excuse of the far distance from the house to the school.

Her cousin's sister also schools there but was always going from home. After much pestering and with the support of her uncle's wife who found her troublesome and wanted to get rid of her, she secured an apartment in front of the school's north gate.

She was going to use her liberty to the extreme. It was time to explore and enjoy the goodies of life.

Before leaving home, she went to a non-government institution whose aim is to help prevent teenage pregnancies. She framed up a story of being raped and they helped her out of sympathy to get rid of the pregnancy.

She was beginning to like Saleem but he was proving to be a hard nut to crack.

"He doesn't know I am smarter than he is. I will surely get him whether he likes it or not."

She stood up and strode towards her mini-fridge. She opened it and discovered she had exhausted all her soft drinks.

"Shit!" She cursed.

She needed something to light up her mood. She went back to the bed and raised her mattress. She brought out a pack of cigarettes and light one of it. She put it in her mouth and draw the smoke slowly, then puff it out. She was feeling lightheaded all of a sudden and she smiled to herself.

Then, her phone rang. It was her father.

She rushed to the kitchen to pick up a plate. Thus, she dropped the cigarette on the plate and picked the call.

"Hello, daddy", She said with a calm voice.

"Hello darling, how are you doing and how is school?"

"School is fine daddy. I just came back from class now."

"Alright. Your mum sends her regards."

"My regards to her too."

"Is your uncle at home?"

"No, he is not."

"Alright, when he comes back, send my regards to him."

"Alright, I will."

"Ayoade will be visiting by next week. He said he misses you. I am also hoping your uncle will help him secure a job over there since you are also there for the main time. If he gets the job, he will be in Zaria till you graduate and then you two will come back home. But if he doesn't, then he will come visiting on our behalf every year to see how you are faring", her father explained.

"Daddy, I'm not a baby", She whined.

"And who says you are a baby? You are a lady and we need to keep an eye on you."

"Uncle is keeping an eye on me dad. That's unnecessary."

"I know you are no longer in your uncle's house so stop with the pretense. Your brother is coming and that's final."