CHAPTER 34

"Young man, what is your name?", the serious-looking Mr. Usman asked the calm-looking Ayoade.

Seated beside him was Salamat dressed in atampa and a white flowery veil. They had exchanged pleasantries immediately they entered the sitting room and also went round to greet the family members one after the other.

"Typical Yorubas!", Mrs. Usman mused. "They can kill with greeting and pleasantries."

She didn't want to admit to herself that Ayoade was good-looking, neat, and calm just like her daughter had claimed. He reminded her of her youthful age when the young handsome Usman came to ask for her hand in marriage at the age of 20 when she could barely understand sex and what it meant.

"Gone are those days", she said to herself again. "The children of nowadays know more than we do."

Ayoade tried greeting the grandmother who they all call kaka in Hausa, but he messed up. They all laughed except Mr. Usman who kept a straight face. Mrs. Usman, on the other hand, smiled and quickly covered it up with a frown when Raliat looked her way.

Raliat was grinning from ear to ear and one could see how deeply in love she was with the Yoruba boy.

Mrs. Usman sighed sadly.

"If only he was a Hausa or Fulani", she said to herself.

She didn't have anything against Ayoade, his personality was great and she liked him already but her problem was his tribe. A Yoruba. They were lousy. And they gossip too much. They eat pepper too much. And they love ceremonies and fights. She was scared for her daughter. But the Yorubas loves and values education and an educated person.

In Nigeria, the Igbos and the Yorubas go to school more than their tribe, Hausas. That was the only thing she could point out that she loved about them.

She sighed again as she stared at Raliat's bright face. "Love is beautiful and sweet."

Mr. Usman asked Raliat's younger brother, Abubakar, and Jaafar as well as Safiya, Raliat's cousin, to excuse them.

"I am Ayoade Jamiu, sir", Ayoade responded politely.

"Ayoade Jamiu", Mr. Usman repeated. "What tribe are you?"

"I am a Yoruba, sir from Ogun State", Ayoade answered, with a smile.

"Are you a Muslim or a Christian?", Raliat's father asked?

"My father is a Muslim while my mother is a Christian. I won't say I am a devoted Muslim", Ayoade replied, honestly.

"Do you observe the five daily prayers?" The old man inquired.

"No, I don't, even though I do fast during the month of Ramadan. I was not taught how to pray."

Mr. Usman shook his head. "Really?"

"Yes sir. My sister was enrolled in an Islamic school but I wasn't."

"Does she pray?"

"She is not consistent", Ayoade admitted.

He shook his head again and asked, pointing to the direction of where Raliat was seated. "What are your intentions towards my daughter?"

Everyone looked in her direction, including Salamat who found the face familiar.

Raliat smiled at Ayoade as an act of encouraging him to be calm. She wished she was close to him to squeeze his hand for reassurance and also to perceive his masculine perfume.

Her thoughts were going beyond control and she wished they could just tie the knot already, there and then. She wished to be in his arms that night. She wanted him.