CHAPTER 50

Thursday 12:00 pm

"Ma, sir, your time is up," The officer said moving close to take Salamat.

"Wumi, don't forget all we told you," Mrs. Ade said patting her on the back.

"Ok, mum", Salamat responded.

"Good girl" her mother smiled at her.

Salamat walked quietly back to her cell with the police officer behind her. She didn't know how she was feeling. She was not happy. And she was not sad.

But one thing was sure, she was worried and scared of what the future holds for her.

She was on the verge of giving up. She questioned her Creator for always bringing difficulties her way. Her problems were always coming one after the other and they always have a connection to her past.

The past she has been trying so hard to forget. The past she has been trying so hard to move on from.

The past keeps resurfacing. It kept showing its ugly face, scaring away beautiful moments and bringing nothing but mishaps.

"When will I eventually find eternal happiness?" she asked.

"When will I eventually be free from the shackles of my past?"

Few distances away from the cell, she saw a familiar figure approaching. Two police officers were bringing her towards the corridor.

Salamat immediately recognized who it was.

It was Bimpe.

Bimpe moved closer and the officer was about to unlock Salamat's cell when she lunged forward at Bimpe.

Bimpe was caught unawares. She recognized Salamat and smiled evilly. "You bitch" she said and slapped Salamat, scratching her face with her long fingers.

Salamat retaliated by punching her in the face before the officer could get a hold of her.

"I trusted you but what do I get from that? You are a betrayal. You asked for my forgiveness and I gave it to you without a second thought. You even lied to my face that you have been withdrawn. You have taught me a bitter lesson", Salamat lamented in tears.

"Are you done talking?" Bimpe inquired, spitting out blood.

"What have I done to deserve this, Bimpe?"

"You killed my brother", she blurted. "That is your offense."

"I didn't kill him and you know the truth. You just want to use it to your advantage. God will judge you."

The officer pushed Salamat into the cell and scolded her. She tried to prove stubborn and he almost hit her with his baton.

"Silly girls" he muttered walking close to his colleague who also pushed Bimpe into her cell too.

*****
"I instructed all the officers to record anything and everything they find useful. We can use that to solve all these puzzles" the D.P.O informed Bode.

"That's great, though it's a bit unethical."

"This is the fourth day and there is no concrete evidence yet. There is no progress on this case at all and it's tiring."

Bode smiled. "I have one, though."

"Really?"

"Yes", he said, stretching an envelope towards him. " That is a picture of Ayoade and the essence is to show us where he was stabbed. We were able to find out that he was stabbed in the neck and the stomach. This shows that the killer is left-handed. Do you get the picture, sir?"