CHAPTER 45

Monday- 2:00pm

Safiya was with two of her boxes as she dragged them toward home which was already in sight.

Safiya had been living with Raliat's parents since she was six and that was when she lost her father to a plane crash.

Her mother was nowhere to be found, even before the death of her father.

She was two years older than Raliat and was a final year student of Architecture.

Mr. Usman had just dumped his backpack into the car booth and was about to enter the car, fully dressed and prepared for his journey to Abuja, when he spotted Safiya coming into the compound.

He had waited for Raliat's call all morning so he could go to the office to hand over things to Ayoade and introduce him to the other staff before embarking on his journey. There had been a change of plans and he needed to be in Abuja before the end of that day.

He had stopped traveling by air since the death of his elder brother, Safiya's father. He had started having a wild and uncontrollable phobia for planes and he avoided it as much as he could, except on when occasion demands that he goes overseas.

Anytime he was traveling abroad, he always makes sure to go with his wife, who knew how best to comfort and suppress his fears.

"Safiya, yane (How far)? Why are you home? And with two boxes?" He asked with amusement seeing her big boxes.

Safiya sluggishly walked closer and hugged him, letting go of her luggage. Mr. Usman was disturbed at her action but he hugged her back passionately, remembering the trauma they both went through when her father died.

Her father was Mr. Usman's only sibling and the news gave their mother a stroke. The stroke she was still recovering from after 18 years.

Safiya began to whimper and he pacified her by calling her the pet name that was given to her by her father. "Ummi, Ya isa (Ummi, it's ok). Tell me what happened? Why the sudden tears?"

"Daddy", she began still sobbing. "It's Ayoade."

"Ayoo? Raliat's boyfriend? What happened to him?"

"He has been murdered in cold blood", she cried.

"What?" He exclaimed. "How? Where did it happen?"

"In our apartment", she answered.

"Ya Rabbi (Oh Lord)!" He muttered, more to himself. "Where is Raliat?"

Safiya cleaned her tears and perked up at him in confusion. "Raliat? Isn't she home?"

"What? What are you saying? Raliat left home for school yesterday evening. Don't tell me you didn't see her."

"No, I didn't", she responded.

"Na Shiga uku (I am in deep shit)" he flopped heavily onto his car seat as a tear dropped from his eyes.

*****
"Saleem", Mrs. Ade called, standing up as soon as she saw him.

Mr. Ade watched him as he came near, still sitting.

"Mummy", Saleem called back.

"Did she talk to you? What did she say?" She asked him in agitation.

Saleem shook his head and said, "I think we need to get a lawyer."

"What rubbish are you saying?" Barked Mr. Ade.

Saleem was about to explain when the D.P.O appeared. "There you are. Good morning Mr. Ade", he stretched his hand at Salamat's father who was in fury.

"Morning sir", he took the D.P.O's hand.

"I told the police officers here to tell you to see me before you go" the D.P.O commented turning to look at the empty counter. He wondered where the two officers went to.

"Maybe they went to take lunch", he thought to himself.

"I reckon they forgot to inform us. I hope all is well?"

"Yes. There are some things I need to discuss with you and your wife. Is this young man your son too?" He inquired, looking at Saleem.

"No, he is Salamat's fiance", Mrs. Ade volunteered to answer.

"Oh! I see. Please let's go to my office." He led the way and they all followed, including Saleem.

He opened the door and sauntered into the office, with Saleem and Salamat's parents trudging behind. Saleem entered after the couple and closed the door calmly behind him.

The couple sat down on the two chairs opposite the D.P.O whose seat was rolling back and forth.

He motioned to Saleem to bring the chair beside the cupboard, filled with littered files and papers, at the far end of the office. Saleem did as instructed and moved the chair close to Mrs. Ade before sitting on it. The chair had no handles and was looking more like a side table. He sat on it, careful not to topple backward.

"Your daughter, Salamat Ademola....", the D.P.O started, opening a big green file in front of him. "....... Is our prime suspect because she was met at the crime scene. There were bloodstains all over her and I think this case is going to be a big one, especially if the boy's parent wants justice."

"D.P.O, my daughter is innocent of all these. I'm sure there is something you are missing. This girl can barely say her mind. She can't even hurt a fly, talk more of a human", Mr. Ade commented with a furrowed brow.

The D.P.O smiled. "Every parent out there always says the same thing you just said when they are in situations like this."

"That is because we know our daughter. Salamat is too feeble for this", Mrs. Ade added.

"Exactly my point. She looks feeble and innocent but our profession looks beyond that. I have seen cases of females like her that look more innocent and naive, yet they are criminals putting on a facade to gain the sympathy of the police and the public. There is nothing like sympathy in this profession, but empathy."

"What do we do?"

"Your daughter knows what happened but has refused to open up. You should persuade her to say something."

"She said she didn't kill him. I spoke to her", Saleem remarked

"Every criminal says that", the D.P.O chuckled.

"My daughter is not a criminal", Mr. Ade half-yelled.

Mrs. Ade stroked her husband's arm to calm him down while the D.P.O eyed him before saying. "You need to get a lawyer. The earlier, the better."

"What?" Mrs. Ade exclaimed. "Is it up to this?"

"I'm afraid, yes. I have sent our officers to go for a thorough investigation in the apartment where the incident happened. We also took the boy's corpse for an autopsy to know the cause of his death. I pray we find evidence of your daughter's innocence, but if not, I'm afraid we will take this case to court."

"Ah! Mogbe! (I am doomed)" Mrs. Ade lamented.

"I hope you have given the officers at the front desk your address?" He asked the furious-looking father, whose mind was in an uproar and ignoring the mother's cries.

Mr. Ade nodded and stood up.

"Ibukun, let's go home", he said walking to the door, without looking back.

*****
Salamat is in trouble for the second time.

Any prediction?

Air your views and vote.

❤💖💝💗