CHAPTER 23

Level 3 hadn't been an easy one for Salamat. She was having challenges with some courses and she kept thinking about who to go to for help. She remembered Toyib and decided to give him a call. She called him and he was willing to help.

Toyib was one of the best students in the class and he called Salamat on two occasions for their State Union meeting but she couldn't meet up and he stopped calling her, seeing her lack of interest in the aspect, even though they relate well with each other.

The theoretical aspect of Nursing was very bulky while the practical aspect was stressful. She started the practical aspect of the course the previous year which was the normal posting to A.B.U Teaching Hospital in Shika.

Saleem was able to juggle his service back to Zaria with the help of his lecturer who took a liking to him and was ready to groom and mentor him as a prospective lecturer. His sister, Rekiya wrote jamb and scored 279 and his parents were happy with the result.

Saleem urged her to apply to Bayero University, Kano just like Hadiza so she could be close to home which she did. Hadiza was already in her final year.

Saleem called Salamat and updated her on all the happenings at home and also about his Youth Service in Zaria. Salamat was excited.

Mr. Ade and his wife who was already a bank manager tried their best to be home during weekends to spend time with their daughter even though Salamat told them it wasn't necessary.
Mr. Ade looked at his daughter one evening when she was arguing with her mother about who should cook dinner.

"My daughter is now an adult", he said to himself.

Her 22nd birthday was around the corner and her parents were looking forward to it.

"Thank you Lord for giving us this wonderful girl", he said smiling and he looked up at the sky while supplicating for God's mercy and protection on his family.

******
Saleem called Salamat and she picked at the first ring. "Salamat can you come over to Love Garden, someone is here to see you."

Salamat wondered who it was and said "Ok" before hanging up.

She jumped down from her bunk and moved close to her locker. She picked a few things from the locker including her ID card and keys to the room before going out.

When she got close to the garden, she was perplexed to see Saleem with a girl and quickly jumped to the conclusion that the girl was his girlfriend.

"Saleem is so silly, how can he call me out to meet his girlfriend. If that is the case, then that will be the end of our friendship. What insolence!!!", she lamented within herself as she approached the two figures.

She got to where they were standing and folded her arms across her bosom looking provokingly at Saleem and ignoring the girl who was backing her.

'You betrayal, you dare call me out here to introduce me to your girlfriend', she said within her, wishing she could voice out her thoughts.

"Omowunmi, please forgive me for all I have done to you in the past", the girl said kneeling and holding onto Salamat's clothes. Salamat quickly looked down at the girl and was surprised to see Bimpe.

"Bimpe?", she called out and looked at Saleem who shrugged.

"She called me out saying she needed to see you urgently" Saleem explained.

"Salamat, I need your forgiveness now more than ever. I am sorry for not being a good friend and for not been there for you when you needed me the most. I am sorry for all I have done to hurt you, please find a place in your heart to forgive me", Bimpe apologized sadly, while Salamat remained silent.