CHAPTER 33

"Raliat", Mr. Usman called, entering his daughter's bedroom. He was a business mogul and was rarely at home. Sundays were his only free day, even though he schedules most of his traveling on Sundays.

"Yes, daddy", Raliat responded. She was laying on her bed reading a novel titled "UNREQUITED FATE".

"Raliat", he called again with a grim countenance. Raliat was surprised to see his annoyed face. She shuddered and quickly sat upright.

"What is this thing I am hearing about your so-called boyfriend?" He inquired pointing to the direction of the sitting room.

Raliat looked towards the direction he was pointing at, and with a confusing look, she stammered out of fear. "I...d..do..don't know what you mean, daddy."

He saw the fear in her and tried calming himself. Then, he asked calmly, "When is he coming?"

Raliat looked up at the wall clock. "He should be here any moment from now."

"What's his name?" He asked again as he moved towards her big bed.

"It's Ayoade sir", she answered.

"Ayo...mene (Ayo...what)?" He frowned his face as he sat down beside her.

"Ayoade, daddy", She repeated, trying to hide her fears. She knew the point he was driving at and she couldn't say what his reaction would be. Her heart was beating wildly and she felt like crying.

"What tribe is he?"

"He is Yoruba."

"What!", her father lamented. Raliat jumped up in fright.

"What is wrong with you? Out of all the Hausas on earth, you decided to go for a boy from South-West."

She breathes out the air she had been holding in and summoned up the courage to give him a reply, hoping she would succeed in convincing him. "Daddy, I feel the tribe doesn't matter. What matters most is the love we have for each other."

"What love are you talking about? What if he starts maltreating you when you are eventually married?"

"Dad, Ayoade can't do such......."

"How sure are you? How long have you known each other?" He demanded, interrupting her.

"Dad......."

"Answer me."

"Two weeks", she finally said and looked down in shame.

"What? Raliat, what the hell is wrong with you? Do you know how many years your mother and I courted? We courted for 3 years. What do you know about him that you are already talking about marriage?"

"Dad... I....."

"Is he a Muslim?"

The next question caught her off-guard and she scratched her head.

"Is he a Muslim?" Her father thundered again, with blazing red eyes.

Raliat jumped up in fright and quickly answered, "I don't know."

******
I don't know who fathered me and my mother had refused to tell me who he is, Habib thought.

Ever since the death of Habibah, he had been more than willing to get to meet his biological father, just so he could give him a piece of his mind.

Who would have thought our lives would turn out this way? We were all leaving a very comfortable life in a comfortable home and environment but our mother messed everything up.

He was tempted to go back to the house to ask Mr. Ladi, his so-called father for forgiveness and also to find who their father was from him, but his pride wouldn't allow him.