CHAPTER 35

"Who would have thought things would be this easy?" Ayoade said to Raliat as she walked them to the bus stop.

Raliat giggled. "Let's give thanks to the Almighty."

"Yes. All praises be to God", he muttered under his breath.

"All praises be to God", Salamat mumbled too.

"What is with your mum's behaviour?", Ayoade questioned.

Raliat shrugged. " I have no idea."

"Sometimes, I feel she is bipolar", she added and laughed out loud.

"Don't be silly", Ayoade scolded.

"She is overjoyed. That is the only way to express her feelings. We do fight a lot and she couldn't bear the fact that I would be leaving her soon."

"How do you know that's it?", Ayoade asked.

"She is my mother and I know her."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"You have a lovely family", Salamat commented.

"Thank you, Salamat", she flashed a smile at Salamat.

"Your grandmother is sweet and Jafar is a cute boy. I like him", Salamat completed.

"Thank you", Raliat said again with a smile.

"Your face looks familiar. Do you know me?", Salamat inquired with curiosity.

"Of course I do", Raliat chuckled as they got to the bus stop.

Then she added, "You were Bimpe's friend in Abeokuta and I am her friend here in Zaria."

"Wao! How come you know me and I don't?" Salamat demanded with a baffled look.

"It doesn't matter. Now we know each other and I am happy to have hosted you. Thank you for the support and for coming", Raliat appreciated it.

Salamat grinned. " Thank you too for accepting our proposal."

"The pleasure is all mine."

They all stopped walking as bus conductors were persuading passengers to their buses. Raliat beckoned to Ayoade to come close to her. Salamat saw the exchange and quickly moved away from them to give them privacy.

All of a sudden, she felt lonely.

Seeing the two love birds and the emission of the love they shared made her miss Saleem. She remembered the argument they had the day before and she felt the sudden need to talk to him. She missed seeing him and missed having him around.

He has made all her past hurt oblivious and it was more like they never existed. She could barely remember all that had happened in sequence.

Now, she felt they do not matter anymore. All that matters now was the future. She decided to give him a call once she gets back home, even though she was still not ready and willing to compromise.

"I wish you a safe trip back to Samaru", Raliat uttered with a smile and wave, jerking Salamat out of her thoughts, after she was done talking to her beloved, who was all smiles too.

Salamat wondered if Raliat was always smiling. The smile was always on her face. She was a happy and carefree lady, Salamat guessed.

And the reason for her happiness was obvious. Having the man of your dreams to yourself is enough satisfaction and happiness. It was enough.

Salamat realized how ungrateful she had been. "God has been sufficient for me", she muttered.

She was happy now. She had a man who will soon be her husband. Her parents were doing well. She would soon be a graduate. What more could she ask for? Life itself is enough. Many are dead and gone. Many are in difficult situations that they feel like giving up.