CHAPTER 44

Saleem got to Shika and had to call the number again to get the exact location where she was at the University Teaching Hospital.

"Saleem", she called, making an effort to sit up with a teary face.

"Bimpe", he called back with concern, looking up at the two policemen beside her bed.

Bimpe began to sob again as he sat next to her after greeting the policemen who only nodded at his greetings.

"Bimpe", he called again as her sob subsidized.

"What happened? What were you saying over the phone?"

"Salamat killed my brother", she repeated.

"What do you mean by that?" He questioned with a grimace. "What sort of allegation is that? Do you even know what you are saying?"

"I know what I am saying, Saleem. I went to the class to read overnight because of the test I was supposed to write this morning, only to get back to the house this morning to see my brother in a pool of his blood and Salamat was right beside him with bloodstained hands. What more explanation will you make of that?" She said more like a whisper.

Her voice was gone.

"That doesn't give you the right to accuse her. Did you catch her in the act?"

"No, I didn't but I have been suspicious of the two of them. They were together throughout yesterday and Salamat has refused to say what is going in between them. If someone else had murdered my brother, she would have said it but all she does is stare at us like a dummy. Saleem, my only brother is gone. My life is ruined", she wailed, putting her hands on her head.

Saleem was confused and speechless as he stared at her crying face.

"What was Salamat doing with her brother since yesterday uptil this morning?" He asked himself.

As if reading his mind, she commented, "I think they are going out together. They have has been communicating for a while."

"Bimpe", he half-yelled in caution.

"You remember I told you yesterday that something has been bothering me for a while now?", she asked and he nodded.

"I think Ayoade has been having an affair. I've seen evidence that he usually brings a girl home anytime I was not around but I can't tell if he has a girlfriend or not."

"What are you insinuating, Bimpe?" He demanded.

"Saleem, I am not a dullard and this is my brother we are talking about here. Forget the fact that there is something between you and Salamat. I want justice for my brother and I will get it."

"You can't be so sure that she is the killer. What's giving you this much confidence?"

"Ayoade came from Abeokuta, on behalf of my parents to check on my welfare and this is what she can do to repay my parent?", she said dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief. "Put yourself in my shoes and tell me how you will feel."

"Bimpe...."

"Ayoade and Salamat were dating, I am sure of it. And I am sure something must have happened overnight that made her did such a thing. My instinct is always right. Think about it Saleem", she said but Saleem was quiet.

Then she continued. "You are my friend and you can decide not to support me but I will get justice for my brother. God is seeing everyone and will judge you accordingly."

"Bimpe, this issue is not about common sense", he began but she had started crying again.

"Ok. I'm sorry about the death of your brother. Where is Salamat now?"