The Sorting and a certain Malfoy

Professor Minerva McGonagall was not one to be shocked. She had seen so much in her long days as the Transfigurations professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She had seen a famous Magizoologist grow up (Newton Artemis Fido Scamander). She had seen several current Heads of Departments and the Ministry. She had seen a girl (Myrtle Elizabeth Warren) be killed by an unknown terror. She had seen a rogue mandrake completely destroy the greenhouses. Hell, she had seen a whole lot. But nothing had prepared her for the arrival of Harry James Potter. 

He had apparated into Hogwarts. It made no sense whatsoever. 1) Hogwarts had anti-apparition wards so apparating was out of the question entirely. Yet somehow, the Potter boy had managed it. 2) He was 11 years old. Students took their apparition tests at age 17 or once they were out of school. He was far underage. 

He had then transfigured a wooden chair into a plump armchair wandlessly and wordlessly once told to wait in the teacher's lounge. 1) He was 11. He should barely even be able to speak the incantation of the Levitation charm. 2) HE WAS 11! HE IS UNDERAGE!!!

Then, he seemed to know Severus and even seemed to be on amicable terms with the potions Master. The only other person of Harry's age she knew Severus to be familiar with was Draco Malfoy. But Harry was no Malfoy. 

Currently, she was walking down to Hall to greet the first years. She knew Severus had dropped Harry at the back of the crowd of first years so all she needed to do was 1) Deliver her annual welcoming speech and 2) Get a first impression of Alex Potter. Technically, the second point was a mental note to herself. 

Rounding the corner, she situated herself in front of the crowd of first years. 

          "Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. While you are here, your house will be like your family. You will have classes with the rest of your House, sleep in your House dormitory, and spend free time in your House common room. The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each House has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly." 

She turned and walked back around the pillar. The students always thought that she had left for the Great Hall, but in reality, she walked up a narrow passageway that allowed her to view the students and listen in on their conversations without being spotted. 

It was a well-hidden balcony that had several charms on it so that student didn't spot it. 

She leaned against the railing and listened as a redhead (probably one of the Weasleys) talked loudly about combatting a Troll. Her gaze traveled down the line to a pair of striking green eyes. What unnerved her the most was the Harry was staring straight at her. B-but he shouldn't be able to see! She checked all the charms, and yet Harry's gaze remained on her. 

A commotion near the front of the crowd of first years brought her attention there. 

The Malfoy heir was leaning against the railing elegantly while his cronies, Crabbe and Goyle, stood in the background looking intimidating. A boy with chocolate brown skin and midnight black curls was on Malfoy's right while a girl with porcelain skin and a short black bob was on his left. Obviously, it was Zabini and Parkinson. McGonagall had taught their parents.