A Troll in the Dungeons

October 31, 1991

Hallow's Eve. The anniversary of the living of the Boy-Who-Lived. 

Alex had been positively insufferable since a week before the actual day. He had had his school-wide fanbase follow him around like a bunch of lost puppies, each vying for his attention. He had been loving it. 

Standing in the shadows of the halls, the Slytherin students looked on with disgust. Specifically, the seven Slytherins who Alex Potter had labelled as his arch-nemeses. 

When the Slytherin gang walked into the Great Hall that evening, they were appalled by the horrific decor of the room. There were floating Jack-O-Lanterns and candles and the tables were laden with sweets. 

Horrid. 

Slytherin was the only House to preserve the Old Ways. Every year, after the Halloween Feast (which the Slytherins were incredibly unimpressed with), they would do the best proper Samhain ritual they could while still remaining in the Entrance Hall. The other Houses had the misconception that Slytherins hate muggleborns and muggles. Only half of that was correct: those of Old Blood hated the fact that muggle culture was pushing out the Wizarding customs. Muggleborns were the perpetrators of this. Muggle culture was disgusting and should never be allowed to take out the Old Ways. The Light Side wanted the help Muggleborns assimilate and feel comfortable in the Wizarding World. They did this by replacing all Wizarding customs with Muggle ones. It was because of this that practically all the Slytherins joined the Dark Side. 

In the last war, the Dark Side stood for the rights of Dark creatures (i.e. Werewolves, and Vampires) as well as for the return of the Old Ways. It stood for Magic in and of itself. Although the followers of the Dark were mostly Dark or Neutral wizards and witches, they all understood that if the Light continued to rule, Magic would soon loose itself to the Muggle ways. Then, Magic would die out because it was not being practiced properly. This was what the Dark Side wished to prevent. 

The Light Side thought that the Dark Lord was a psychopathic murderer who lead a bunch of crazy followers. He also (according to the Light Lord Dumbledore) looked like a cross between a snake and a human. This was not the case. It was known to all Dark practitioners that the Dark Lord was actually quite human. He was a halfblood descended from Salazar Slytherin himself, who whose House he used to belong. It so happened that Slytherin was married to Rowena Ravenclaw, making Tom Marvolo Riddle a descendent of the House of Ravenclaw as well. Said Dark Lord was also descended from the legendary Cadmus Peverell. 

The Dark Lord was quite the looker and his Inner Circle and Elite knew it, too. When he ordered the Outer Circle and Recruits around, he never showed them his face; instead, he never took off his cloak and hood, letting the shadows obscure him. Those who did see his face were bound by an Unbreakable Vow to never say anything about what he looked like to anyone who did not have the Dark Mark on their left forearm. 

Certain Elite had been an exception. Bellatrix Lestrange, one of the Dark Lord's most loyal followers, was one of those not bound by the Vow. She had therefore told Harry of the Dark Lord. 

He had had ivory skin, pale, and unblemished. His hair had been a dark golden brown and it had been styled with medium length, wavy curtain bangs. His most notable feature, however, had been the blood-red eyes. According to Druella Black (née Rosier), who had gone to school with her Lord and was the mother of Bellatrix, his eyes used to be a frosty blue. Until he accepted his Lordship. 

Harry was looking forward to meeting him. 

Enough of that. Now, you all must be getting along to the happenings at the feast. After all, I have taken up the entirety of the esteemed Headmaster's speech and am sincerely sorry (not) for your having missed such an opportunity.