Perseverance in the Face of...Everything, Really

Dear Readers,

Please forgive my unannounced hiatus. As many have experienced, I lost motivation to continue this project (the infamous writer's block, which struck me in quite an untimely manner). Paired with the other events going on in my life, I did not write for a very long time. Fortunately, I've decided to pick this up again. I hope to regain your faith in my story, though I understand that it may take time. To partially atone for my absence, I've uploaded 4 new chapters. Thank you again for your understanding and kindness!

Sincerely,

Marauders274

----------

Perseverance was a virtue that only those imbued with an eternal sense of morality could actively pursue. Tom considered himself one of those fortunate people (really...?), and it was Perseverance with which he continued writing his plans to take over magical Britain while his one true love avoided him assiduously (the horror!). 

A quick rap sounded, and Tom waved his finger in that general vicinity, blasting the door of his study off of its hinges and backwards into whoever was rude enough to interrupt his lamentations. 

As dust swirled up from the door's impressive somersault, Tom was greeted by a very tense Severus Snape with bits of wood in his hair and a sour expression on his face. The door was lying in the hallway, surrounded by debris and sporting a very distinct Snape-shaped hole in it. Yes, Snape did not look pleased. 

         "My Lord," said he, "your Lordship might want to know that Bellatrix has completed the Grand Hogwarts Takeover plans according to her discretion (which, might I add, is questionable at best), and they require inspection, though I do hope such a welcome will not be imposed upon your most loyal follower?"

          "I have full confidence in Bella's strategic abilities. Bring me the plans at once," Tom commanded. 

Snape began to leave, flicking bits of wood off of his robes, but Tom called out after him, a bit evilly,

          "And don't forget my red grading quill!"

----------

          "His Lordship requires the Grading Quill!" Snape announced as he billowed through the door to the parlour in all of his dust-covered grandeur. 

          "NOT THE GRADING QUILL!!!" Bella screamed hysterically. 

She sprinted across the room to interrupt her sister's letter-writing and clung to Narcissa's new blouse.

Narcissa looked up at Severus and then back at her sister and patted Bella's shoulders. 

           "The grading quill," Lucius, who was standing just in front of Narcissa, announced solemnly (he felt is was the right occasion to practice his solemn voice). 

The four--Severus, Bellatrix, Narcissa, and Lucius--looked at each other gravely. 

          "Let's burn it," Bellatrix ventured, conspiratorially. 

          These was a quick silence before Lucius demonstrated his awful room-reading skills. "You do realize that in order to do any of this, we must find the quill?"

Two eyes blinked up at him. 

          "What do you mean?" Bellatrix exclaimed, laughing strangely. "We-we know where it is...right, Cissa? ...Cissa?"

Bellatrix turned around to find Narcissa and began trembling, her face draining of color and her hands shaking. Slowly looking up to meet Bella's eyes, Narcissa held up the pen she had been using to write her letter to Draco. It was red.