Better Than Candy

It's Halloween and candy is the last thing on Alex's mind. 

Warning: Underage Drinking 

Ding Dong.

"Trick or treat before I suck your blood!" Jack's voice floated through the door in a god-awful Transylvanian accent.

I opened the door to see him in full vampire costume, right down to the red contacts and tooth cap fangs. He even managed to make freaking Dracula gorgeous!

"You lazy motherfucker!" He gasped as he took in my costume which was actually just my skeleton onesie.

At sixteen years old I'm not really into dressing up to go trick or treating, the only reason I bothered going was because it meant I could spend some time alone with Jack like we used to as kids. I'd never admit that of course.

"Shh! Amie's here." Amie, my four-year-old cousin who I used as my excuse for going.

"Jacky!"

We heard a squeal from behind us as she ran out from the dining room in her pink princess outfit, candy bag in hand, and clung tightly to his leg. I wasn't the only one who loved Jack.

"Make sure you bring her back before dark!" Mom called from the kitchen. "We will!"

We managed to get around the whole neighbourhood before the sun went down and even got invited to a party by one of Jack's friends, Zack, from outside of school, who was taking his little brother around. It was in the field next to the graveyard once it was dark.

Naturally, Amie wanted to come and was upset when we said she couldn't. Thankfully she was quickly distracted by a particularly creepy Jack-O-Lantern and more candy. Oh, the joys of being four.

"Were home!" Amie yelled as she bounced through the door.

Mom was sat in the living room watching TV.

"Did you have fun?" Amie nodded enthusiastically.
"Yeah! And I gots lots of candy!" Mom chuckled.

"And what are you two planning for the evening? Movie night?" She looked to me and Jack expectantly. That is what we did most years.
"Actually we've been invited to my friend Zack's party," Jack said.

"Yeah, it's in a graveyard!" Amie shrieked excitedly. Mom's eyes bulged.
"A graveyard?!" I sighed.
"It's not in a graveyard, his house is by the graveyard." I lied smoothly. Mom didn't seem convinced.

"I don't know, it doesn't sound very safe... will his parents be there?" I rolled my eyes. "Yes. It's a small party that consists of only close friends. The only reason I've been invited is because I was with Jack when he got invited and because they are close friends with him so it's a good idea for us to all get to know each other."