One Night A Year

Alex is a vampire. His roommate, Josh, is a fairy who happens to have a warlock hunting him. Their new neighbours have invited them to a Halloween party at their apartment. What could possibly go wrong?

Halloween. The one night a year where the monsters don't have to hide. That's right, I said monsters.

It's been centuries since the human race has believed they really exist but their frequent advances in technology and weaponry have become somewhat problematic, so the monsters find it best that they stay in the realm of myth and legend. However, on Halloween night they can let their hair down, have some fun and not hide who they are.

"Mommy, look at that man's fangs!"

Alex chuckled softly at the young boy staring at him from across the aisle. The kids always thought they were cool. Every year they would all stop and stare, utterly fascinated.

"Come on Jeremy." His mother called, pulling him along with the shopping cart.

His phone vibrated in his pocket, and he pulled it out to see it was his roommate, Josh.

"Hey man." He greeted. "I was just about to call you, they're out of that honey brand you like, are there any others that will do?"

As a vampire, Alex had absolutely no knowledge of honey. He hadn't eaten anything in so long he'd forgotten the taste of everything. But apparently different honey's tasted totally different to each other, Alex wasn't sure if this was an actual thing or just a fairy thing.

"Forget the honey, we've been invited to a party." Alex frowned as he put the jar he'd been holding down. "What?" He asked confused.
"The new neighbours are having a Halloween house party, the one you think is hot came over to invite us."

Alex rolled his eyes. He'd said he thought the guy was cute one time.

"You're not actually thinking of going, are you?" Josh laughed.
"Uh yeah, it's Halloween dude, the one time a year we can actually relax and be ourselves. I wanna make the most of it." Alex frowned as he made his way towards the checkouts. "Is that safe though?"

Josh sighed heavily. "I can't spend the rest of eternity hiding and never leaving the house. If he's gonna try and find me then he's gonna try and find me regardless of where I am or what I do. I'll make sure to protect myself, it'll be fine." Alex wasn't so convinced.

He got the usual stares from people as he made his way back to his car, but today it wasn't accompanied by any whispering or insults.

Apparently, his clothing style was what was commonly known as "goth" and wasn't especially common or popular with the majority of the human race.

Alex was far too old to care what people thought. Besides, it was practical. All-black material that covered all of his skin was the only way he could leave the house in the sunlight. He'd take a few mutters of "freak" over living nocturnally every time.